Dust cover with picatinny ?

Hello.

I recently purchased an old Saiga 410 that has fixed Improved Cylinder choked barrell and has NOT a side plate to mount a scope.

I saw some dust covers on ebay with picatiny rails but all of them were for Saiga rifles (308, .223 etc...).

I dont want to drill my Saiga and put the side plate so I am looking for one dust cover that fits Saiga 410 and has a picatiny rail on it.

If anyone knows where i can get one I would appreciate the info...

Thanks!

The Saiga-410 I own and a buddy's saiga-12, both of the dust covers aren't what I would call securely fit - we briefly toyed with the idea of mounting a uni weaver rail on them but decided that the looseness of the dust cover was enough to fear for our scopes and went with the side mounts instead. I've yet to see the Saiga rifles up close in person, but from what I've read elsewhere on this site the rifle versions do not have this issue. I would assume this is why there are no Saiga shotgun dust covers with mounts readily available.

Interesting, I would appreciate seeing some pictures of this early Saiga 410 if you could post some. I have a very early model too but it did come with a threaded barrel and side rail, just no BHO or adjustable sights.

What I can tell from the photos:

Photo 1 - Your Saiga .410 was possibly built / manufactured in the year 2000. The Scope mount is definitely not there.

Photo 2 - Your Saiga .410 may have the adjustable gas system (not sure from the photo). It appears to not have the Bolt Hold Open (not sure from the photo). I am not sure what you mean by "non-ventilated rib" either.

Anyone have any instructions on how to put the side plate on saiga?

Ask Cobra. I had him take my Scope Mount off because mine is used short range for Home Defense.

My dust cover is tight enough and that's why I thought to mound my scope there.

The Dust Covers for the Rifles are different than the Shotguns. I am unsure of where my Dust Cover came from, but it was causing Failure to Feeds before Cobra modified it.

There are other types of after market Scope Mounts for the Saiga .410. Have you looked at CSS or MAA?

Edited by TickNC

Interesting, I would appreciate seeing some pictures of this early Saiga 410 if you could post some. I have a very early model too but it did come with a threaded barrel and side rail, just no BHO or adjustable sights.

Gas system looks like Cobra's gun. Does it have the threaded barrel?

I may be wrong on the year it was made. Cobra could help you with that as well.

Maybe if we knew where you are located someone could recommend a smith. Most of the work you are looking for could be shipped out. I recommend using someone that knows these guns.

Edited by TickNC

Sorry I was trying to upload some pics of the different gas pistons earlier and my computer locked up and had to be shut down...:killer:

That explains why you have such a different model. We had another member here a few years ago from Greece. He's a police officer there with a beautiful 410 (factory PG and all wood AK furniture). I've got pics of it on file. Anyway yours is just like mine but one year newer MFG, and mine has the threads and side rail. The gas system is identical and is non adjustable. Same non vented sight rib too.

Looks like you may only have to drill out three rivets and add the side rail, then replace them with longer rivets. The holes are already there I think. You could compare yours with pics of Tick's 410 I removed the rail from to see.

Here are some pics of mine if they will upload this time without crashing my crappy computer...

Edit> After looking again at your pics, you will need to add one hole for the center rivet.

post-1293-088099000 1283616013_thumb.jpg

post-1293-085748000 1283616052_thumb.jpg

The photos of the Dust/Bolt Cover are pretty good on this post Bolt Cover caused my Failure To Eject, FTE and FTF Resolved. I have taken another close-up photo below of the left side of the gun after Cobra's Scope Mount removal. The red arrows indicate where the Scope Mount was attached. As Cobra has stated "Edit> After looking again at your pics, you will need to add one hole for the center rivet."

Edit> After looking at your photos, it looks like you will need to add 2 holes for rivets. One to the front and one to the center.

gallery_21430_435_35575.jpg

Edited by TickNC