New on the forum. Scope questions.

Hello! I will soon be purchasing a 22" Saiga .308 and I plan on putting a scope on it. My question though, is actually about the side mounts. I have used La Rue tactical QD mounts in the past and they have an excellent return to zero when you reattach them. Do the AK side mounts return to zero if you remove then reattach them? Or do you need to sight them in all over again? Also, I live in the Democratic Republic of Kalifornia and have been amazed at the ignorance of some gun shop owners here... I was recently told "Sorry we can't order that. It's a machine gun." I was asking for a price quote on a Saiga .308.

I've got three of the Leapers/UTG 5th generation mounts, and they all appear to lock up tight and stay that way.

You can pay more for possibly lower/stronger side mounts as well.

But, don't rule out the dog-leg or other top rail rear mounts.

Tip: a dab of Moly or Lithium grease on the mounting rail sure helps with assembly and removal of the side mount.

I suppose I could actually use the La Rue super low QD mounts in conjunction with the TWS dogleg. I am just finnicky and like to have access to iron sights if i need them... Is the Dogleg's rear peep sight adjustable?

For windage yes. For elevation no.

But you can make those adjustments to your front sight.

I've got three of the Leapers/UTG 5th generation mounts, and they all appear to lock up tight and stay that way.

You can pay more for possibly lower/stronger side mounts as well.

But, don't rule out the dog-leg or other top rail rear mounts.

Tip: a dab of Moly or Lithium grease on the mounting rail sure helps with assembly and removal of the side mount.

T. are you using the Leapers scope? If so, how do you like it? Do you have a pic of your gun with the scope and mount?

thx Ted

Ted;

Here's a pic of the Leapers Accushot SCP3-M3124AOMD on my S308. It's ok for a moderately priced scope. When I got it, it was one of the few well rated, lower priced scope with a 3rd turret for the parallax. For the money, it gets the job done.

Saiga308-closeup.JPG

While I was using that scope, I'm trying out BSA's TMD624x44/30SP (Midway tactical) right now. The 44mm objective and longer tube put the bell out past the rear sight block and made it possible to use lower rings. The only down side so far is a limit of 15 MOA adjustment. When you figure that a 3.0 inch scope height eats up a nasty chunk of that, at 500 yards I'm probably reduced to using mildot holdover to compensate.

Lately, I've been wondering about the Vortex 6x24x50 AO. That sucker has 75 MOA adjustment for around $200 on sale. I guess I could live with AO on the front with that kind of latitude.

If I was smart, I would probably go ahead and buy a "better" more expensive scope, but I really don't having all my glass in one tube. Stuff breaks.

Ted;

6x24x50 Vortex Crossfire for $100? Wow! The cheapest I've seen them is $199.

I prefer rings as low as I can get them. I would be willing to bet that medium is the lowest you can get with the 50mm front end.

There are three disadvantages with high mounted scopes; 1. cheek weld sucks, 2. the higher the scope above the bore line, the more MOA clicks you eat up just zeroing, and 3. it sticks out enough to barely fit a lot of cases.

I used the low Weaver Tactical 6-bolt rings on my UTG mount and the 44mm bell on my BSA "just" clears the rear sight block. That puts the line of sight at 3 inches above the bore.

Keep us posted on that scope. Like I said, I'm impressed with a reasonably priced scope with the 75 MOA adjust that the Crossfire has.

Good luck.

Ted;

6x24x50 Vortex Crossfire for $100? Wow! The cheapest I've seen them is $199.

I prefer rings as low as I can get them. I would be willing to bet that medium is the lowest you can get with the 50mm front end.

There are three disadvantages with high mounted scopes; 1. cheek weld sucks, 2. the higher the scope above the bore line, the more MOA clicks you eat up just zeroing, and 3. it sticks out enough to barely fit a lot of cases.

I used the low Weaver Tactical 6-bolt rings on my UTG mount and the 44mm bell on my BSA "just" clears the rear sight block. That puts the line of sight at 3 inches above the bore.

Keep us posted on that scope. Like I said, I'm impressed with a reasonably priced scope with the 75 MOA adjust that the Crossfire has.

Good luck.

The scope is still on sale, but won't ship until mid October. What is considered Med and tall for the rings. Do I have to use the ones from crossfire? How do I know they will clear, before I order?

Here is the scope

211118070.jpg

And here is my newly acquired saiga

saiga308.jpg

thx Ted

Edited by Diego-ted

Ted;

Getting just the right scope rings without hand fitting them can be tough, but this might help:

My scope has a 2" outside diameter bell, and it clears the rear sight block by around 1/8". I have low rings that measure 1/4" from the scope body to the sight base.

Assuming the outside bell diameter is 2 1/2" (according to the Vortex site), that would mean that you're going to need a right height of 3/4" for the objective to clear the rear sight block by at least 1/8".

Sounds like you need at least "high" rings for that scope. But, remember that "high" is not a standard frame of reference. Just a quick check online for moderately priced rings showed that only the Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte High were exactly 3/4". But, the Vortex rings could work too.

Check my math and shop careful.

Good luck.

Edited by TxMark

I am using currently the POSP 3-9x42 from Kalinka and I do like it a lot. It is all a preference on what you like and how much magnification you want and what you plan on using it for. Honestly though I think a low magnification scopes do not do the rifle justice as it is a great rifle for both short,medium and long range shooting which is why I opted for a scope with a good zoom. I do plan on getting myself a 21" later on as well and will most likely put an even more powerful scope on that one with mil dots.