Magazine Catch Conversion Question

I just installed bullet guides on two of my Saiga 7.62 rifles and now I am going to attempt to grind the magazine catch so that it can accept standard AK47 magazines. I was hoping a few forum members could offer suggestions on the easiest way to remove material from the magazine catch. I thought about taking my air drill to it with a diamond bit, but there is no room for error if I take too much material. All suggestions or links to previous forum threads are appreciated.

If you look on the back of the magazine, you will see a tab. That is what retains the Saiga and the AK mag into their respective weapons. The AK mag's tabs are thicker, which requires you to file the TOP of the magazine catch on a Saiga to accept this thicker tab.

Your first step is to get an AK mag and try to insert it into the Saiga. You will immediately see what these guys are talking about, and get an idea of how much material needs to be removed. If you don't, your shouldn't be taking a file to your gun, because, well...............a little.........slow.

Take a really small file and remove material, check, remove material, check, and so on and so forth until your AK mags fit snug but with no resistance on the mag catch. There is a fine line between a good fitting catch and a loose one, so go slow and get it right.

There is another way, and the way that I prefer. You can drill the shoulder off the pivot rivet in the magazine catch, remove the catch, and file with a larger file. I like this method, because using a larger file allows me to get the face of the catch flatter and more even. You can test fit without the spring, and then when your done, re-rivet or bolt it back into place with a threaded sleeve, binding post, bare bolt, or whatever you want.

Edited by TackDriver
  • 2 months later...