How to get .223 ballistics to match 5.45?

We were discussing this in another thread elsewhere and I wanted to get people's take on the following here at the Saiga forums.

It seems to be that a .223/5.56x45 fired from a proper barrel will produce more permanent tissue disruption through fragmentation vs a 5.45x39 that produces less permanent damage but more temporary tissue damage through yaw.

Q: Since it is my current circumstance I am in the market for a Saiga, which typically have a 1:9 -1:10 twist rate (for .223), what would I need for a barrel length in said twist rate to get the better wound ballistic performance from a .223/5.56x45 than the soviet 5.45x39?

Have to keep the bullet weight in mind. Can't shoot the heavys from the 16" Saiga.

Have to keep the bullet weight in mind. Can't shoot the heavys from the 16" Saiga.

Why not? Mine stabilizes the 75 grain .223 TAP just fine.

Jim, how far out?

I haven't tested past 100. But, my .223 Saiga is a home defense only weapon. (And the 75 grain TAP is some really good stuff for that purpose).

Honestly, though, I'm sorry that I didn't get an SLR106, which would have been a better, more versatile weapon.

5.56 was made for 20" barrels. Higher velocity better wounding. Still good out of a 16" though.

I haven't seen many ballistics from 5.45, so I can't really say about the effectiveness.

Jim I didn't know any one else used their Saiga .223 for HD. Just out of curiosity why do you use it over a 12g?

Why not? Mine stabilizes the 75 grain .223 TAP just fine.

Jim, how far out?

I haven't tested past 100. But, my .223 Saiga is a home defense only weapon. (And the 75 grain TAP is some really good stuff for that purpose).

Honestly, though, I'm sorry that I didn't get an SLR106, which would have been a better, more versatile weapon.

Okay, to the op, the further out you go with the 75+ the more accuracy may suffer with a 1/9. But yeah, if you are wondering for defensive ranges 1/9 works fine for the heavy bullets.

• Like 1

Jim I didn't know any one else used their Saiga .223 for HD. Just out of curiosity why do you use it over a 12g?

The .223 is my wife's home defense weapon, although it is left handy so often that it would be my first grab in a lot of possible scenarios. I have an SGL31 (5.45) for myself, but I actually like the .223/5.56 caliber for the home defense application better than any other caliber. The .223 rifle is light and low recoiling (both important for my wife), and gives a high capacity. The 75 grain TAP is devastating, yet unlikely to exit the house.

There are a number of drawbacks with shotguns. Our house is long, and thus un-ideal for a shotgun. I consider the Saiga shotguns less reliable than the rifles. Also, I want to be able to penetrate soft body armor - no problem for a rifle. Lastly, it is more difficult and more costly to practice with a shotgun.

• Like 1