Hi Y'all,

My buddy just picked up a NIB Stainless Steel Mini 30 and was advised by the seller to use only brass case ammo.

Has anyone used the steel case ammo in a mini 30 with success or was the seller correct in advising brass only.

I'm trying to gather some useful info for my buddy. This is his first rifle.

Thanks in advance for any first hand input.

I seem to remember reading a post someone else had about mini-30's. Tony, said something about the barrels being made for domestic ammo tolerances and there were slight differences or something... hopefully someone with more hands-on info will help you out... ;)

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading a post someone else had about mini-30's. Tony, said something about the barrels being made for domestic ammo tolerances and there were slight differences or something... hopefully someone with more hands-on info will help you out... ;)

This is 100% Correct! Mini 30's are JUNK! they all have a Barrel Diameter of .308, thus making them literally dangerous to shoot foreign ammo like Wolf or Milsurp with a .311 diameter.

If I were your friend, I'd sell that Mini 30 and buy a Saiga in 7.62x39 that will handle anything you wanna put through it!

-RR

Edited by RoughRider666
  • Like 1

From what I have read (a long time ago, and my memory has a way of playing tricks on me), I believe the bore of the Mini-30 tapers from .311 at the throat to .308 at the muzzle. EDIT: I'm 90% sure it says that in Jane's Guns Recognition Guide 1st Ed., but that obviously isn't the most accurate source of info. I'd check but I don't have it anymore (loaned it to a friend 3 years ago along with CotW 10th Ed. and haven't got either back yet.) Teh interwez say that pre-1992 Mini-30s are .308 while the newer barrels are .311 and there's no reliable mention of a tapered bore at all, though apparently I'm not the only person who has heard that.

Here's what a quick Google search says:

"I have a stainless Mini 30 with a 3x9x40 scope on it. I've been shoot Wolf ammo for years and never had any problems. Accuracy at 100 yards, 3 shot groups, inch and a half. I shoot the 154 grain soft points. Just keep the rifle clean and lubed. With the polymer coating on the casings, it is not nearly as dirty as the old lacquer use to be. By the way, it's all non corrosive."

"I think you should avoid the Wolf Black Box in your M30. I tryed it in my 189 series and it didn't shoot well, was dirty and had several FTF out of the 3 boxes I tryed. some M30 owners have reported fireing pin breakage with also."

"Have a new mini 30. New factory fresh Wolf black box ammo... The two don't work together... Anyone have any experience with Wolf.

I have been told that the Wolf has harder primers so the firing pin strike is not strong enough."

"Yes shooting it voids Rugers warranty because it can break the firing pin. This goes for almost all imported ammo. Now I've shot albout a quarter case of steel cased Russian ammo and I never broke a firing pin, but then again I don't know if it has been weakened either and if I have to depend on the rifle some day I hope it doesn't pick that moment to break."

"The seller never stated whether any parts had been replaced, and out of about 1,200 rounds of only Wolf and Monarch, it has had about 12-16 ftfs on the first pin strike."

"According to the factory "experts" I spoke with, the steel casings are rough on extractors, and many of the foreign-made primers are hard on firing pins. I suppose we can take them at their word, or read of real-life circumstances here on the PU. Many shooters apparently have no trouble with the steel-cased ammo. All I know is that I've invested some time and money in my equipment, and although I love a good deal on ammo prices, I'm not going to take any chances with potentially harmful rounds."

Food for thought.

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply's people.

He ended up getting some American Eagle and Prvi Partisan to break it in.

I want him to have a good experience with his first rifle.

He insisted on buying an American made rifle and I can't fault him for that.

We plan on a day at my range soon so I hope it goes well.

Thanks again for the knowledgeable reply's.