Stock Handguard not reinstalling correctly

After filing my gas block to uncover ports on my vodka special, I can't get the screw to go all the way in, it more like half way at this point. I feel like if I really put a lot of torque on the screw it will go, but it will cause the threads to get slightly screwed up. This will the be first time I've reinstalled this part so I'm not sure if the gas block is off a little or if it would have been the same if I hadn't moved the block at all. I've tried to twist the guard to either side and it doesn't change anything.

I'd take the gas block off again if I didn't think it was such a bitch, getting the pins out alone was a pain as I broke the tip off my punch twice and the GB didn't want to budge unless I hit it directly with a rubber mallet which is now so eaten up it won't cut it for the job anymore.

So any guesses, is there something I'm overlooking or am I just taking it too easy on the screw and really they all screw in with considerable difficulty?

After filing my gas block to uncover ports on my vodka special, I can't get the screw to go all the way in, it more like half way at this point. I feel like if I really put a lot of torque on the screw it will go, but it will cause the threads to get slightly screwed up. This will the be first time I've reinstalled this part so I'm not sure if the gas block is off a little or if it would have been the same if I hadn't moved the block at all. I've tried to twist the guard to either side and it doesn't change anything.

I'd take the gas block off again if I didn't think it was such a bitch, getting the pins out alone was a pain as I broke the tip off my punch twice and the GB didn't want to budge unless I hit it directly with a rubber mallet which is now so eaten up it won't cut it for the job anymore.

So any guesses, is there something I'm overlooking or am I just taking it too easy on the screw and really they all screw in with considerable difficulty?

Check to see if the gas block alignment is a bit off to the left or right, and that the block is seated correctly without being too far forward or back on the barrel. Any of these things may cause a mismatch with the mounting screw. Also make sure the rear tab on your handguard is seated all the way into the slot on the bottom front of your receiver.

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks mike, but luckily I was just going too easy on the screw, I took of the guard and tried to just screw directly into the GB and found just as much resistance, there was a good amount of paint or the like in the threads. Just goes to show you most times a delicate touch is not the best method when working on the kalashnikov family of firearms.