Can I cut my barrel?

I have a Saiga 7.62x39 and want to shorten the barrel. I called a guy today that mentioned the rifle should have at least 2 twists in the barrel to keep accuracy, looking up Saiga 7.62 twist ratio it is 1 in 9.44 inches, at least for a sgl, I would assume a saiga is the same. So wouldn't that mean the barrel has to be 18.88 inches to get the 2 turns? Thus if I cut it short is it going to loose all accuracy? If thats true how do SGL's have shorter barrels? Have you guys heard of anyone cutting their barrel? Did it mess up accuracy?

What barrel length do you want?

I thought the SLR-107UR-SBR's had a different twist rate but it doesn't look like they do. "Rate: 1 in 240 mm (9.44 in.)"

And those are 8.27" barrels. Which are fine out to 100 yards. Past that the ballistics of the cartridge with that barrel length is the limiting factor. Huge drop past 100 yards. So at least in this instance twist rate is not your limiting factor.

I have a Saiga 7.62x39 and want to shorten the barrel. I called a guy today that mentioned the rifle should have at least 2 twists in the barrel to keep accuracy, looking up Saiga 7.62 twist ratio it is 1 in 9.44 inches, at least for a sgl, I would assume a saiga is the same. So wouldn't that mean the barrel has to be 18.88 inches to get the 2 turns? Thus if I cut it short is it going to loose all accuracy? If thats true how do SGL's have shorter barrels? Have you guys heard of anyone cutting their barrel? Did it mess up accuracy?

What length is you barrel right now? 16.5 or 21

A Standard AK-47 with a 16.5 barrel is accurate according to the FM's to 300m Semi, and 200m Auto. Guys that have had training and know how to shoot know they are accurate out alot further.

Shortning your barrel will decrease accuracy at longer ranges, but cutting it down from a 16 to add a permanet brake isn't going to effect it that much. Going down to a 10 or 12 yes big time.

Accuracy depends on a number of factors... bullet grain, temp., firing platform (prone, bench, standing, kneeling, supported/unsupported), sight allignment, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze.

So ask yourself what is the purpose of the rifle..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What length is you barrel right now? 16.5 or 21

A Standard AK-47 with a 16.5 barrel is accurate according to the FM's to 300m Semi, and 200m Auto. Guys that have had training and know how to shoot know they are accurate out alot further.

Shortning your barrel will decrease accuracy at longer ranges, but cutting it down from a 16 to add a permanet brake isn't going to effect it that much. Going down to a 10 or 12 yes big time.

Accuracy depends on a number of factors... bullet grain, temp., firing platform (prone, bench, standing, kneeling, supported/unsupported), sight allignment, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze.

So ask yourself what is the purpose of the rifle..

^this is a good post. Read it and re-read it before you take the plunge for a lousy 1/2 an inch....

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks BigSal

Fuck it lol maybe it will work but 4" isn't worth $450...no matter how many horny asain men would disagree...

I'd rather sell the rifle and buy a shorter one, even though 99% of the people I asked said it should be fine I'm just gonna put the time and effort into dialing in a 5.45 and selling the 7.62