Picked up my S12 today

Went to my local FFL I usually deal with to pick up my S-12 from CSS. I asked him once about Saiga's a while back and he mumbled something about "Russian Junk .... " Since sinking lots of time and money into my 7.62 x 39 I took a little time explanation how the Saigas are just as good(if not better) than most of the AK's you find .... I promised to return with my S 12 when I get it the way I want it .... I guess some people will never know ...

Im going to take off the dust cover and make sure everything is where it should be and try to run a few mags through in a few

(UPDATE)

Ran a box of heavy dove loads through it .... only ONE FTE .... its a three hole gun. This is my first experience with my hands on an S12 .... when I replaced the gas plug I tightened it ... then backed it off til it locked into the first setting .... it didnt cycle .... I turned it to the next setting and it cycled fine .... was this the correct way to do it ?

Edited by EJ45

when I replaced the gas plug I tightened it ... then backed it off til it locked into the first setting .... it didnt cycle .... I turned it to the next setting and it cycled fine .... was this the correct way to do it ?

What's the "first setting" and the "next setting"?

They have numbers. The #1 setting is for high-brass (powerful ammo) and the #2 setting is for low brass (target & birdshot).

That takes the guess work out of which setting you should be using.

Im guessing the number closest to the locking pin is the selected setting? or is it opposite that? anyhow .... I screwed the plug in .... then backed it up til the pin caught on the first notch .... no cycling, I unscrewed it until it caught on the next notch and it cycled fine.

Im guessing the number closest to the locking pin is the selected setting? or is it opposite that? anyhow .... I screwed the plug in .... then backed it up til the pin caught on the first notch .... no cycling, I unscrewed it until it caught on the next notch and it cycled fine.

I did the same method as you when I removed and reinstalled my gas plug. With my shotgun, I screwed the plug all the way in till it bottomed out and then unscrewed slightly until the detent locked into the first recess which was setting 1. I then depressed the detent and kept turning it until it locked into setting 2 (I'm shooting low brass (low dram) shells and wanted it on setting 2.)

This worked great for me as my new gun shot a box of 25 Winchester bulk pack shells with 2 FTE's. Mine's a three hole gun too with the hole diameters all under the 3/32" recommendation. I was shocked that it ate the crap ammo as good as it did for a new gun! Hopefully it will improve even more after I polished the rough spots in the action last night.