Galil Hanguard Filler?

So I like the look of the galil handguard, but when I added it to the S12, I noticed a huge gap on both sides of the barrel. I'm probably going to shave the top half of the guard off to bring it down a bit, but there will still be a huge gap there. Do you guys just run with it or did I buy the wrong handguard somehow?

I don't like the wide open top look either. What I do is customize them by cutting about a half an inch off the two sides at the top, and then laminating those pieces inside upside down. Then sand it smooth to make it look twice the thickness and much neater by fitting close to the sides of the gas tube.

I don't like the wide open top look either. What I do is customize them by cutting about a half an inch off the two sides at the top, and then laminating those pieces inside upside down. Then sand it smooth to make it look twice the thickness and much neater by fitting close to the sides of the gas tube.

that will knock out 2 birds with one stone then.. What kind of glue did you use? I imagine some gorilla poly glue would be best in this application

• 1 month later...

I'm not handy, so can you guys describe in detail how you cut down the Tapco forearm?

Hand tool?

Table saw?

What kind of blade?

What did you use to sand to finish?

I've also seen long slots cut on the sides. Any thought on doing them?

Any other issues on installing the forearms?

Thanks in advance.

Any kind of med fine tooth saw with a small curf and no too much speed to melt it. I prefer a hand tool like a coping saw or if you have a fine blade band saw or maybe a scroll saw you could use that. It can be done with a box cutter if you are careful and have a brand new sharp blade in it. You just have to keep cutting over and over til it's all the way through. You can even use a jig saw with a med fine blade if you go slow. Doesn't really matter what the cut looks like as long as you don't get it too far off and crooked. After cutting it you need to smooth it down flat on a belt sander. If you laminate the sides first the belt sander will blend them to look like a solid fat surface. You can use a drill press with an end mill in it to mill the slots in the sides. You need a cross slide vice mounted on the table to make it nice though. A router will also work. I used to do them by hand with a drill and a dremel but that sucks and takes forever.

Fine, slow and careful sounds like the rule.

Another question.

What the heck does the metal stud on the forearm do?

The instructions (very minimum) does not match my Saiga. I would expect the metal tab to fit into the small gap at the bottom of the front of the receiver, like most AK handguards but the TAPCO stud is way too big.

And the screw hole?

Thanks for your help.