hmm Miss Fire..?

so i just finished my conversion..took it to the range and sent 115 yugo surplus through her (now named Miss Fire). everything worked out wonderfully..the gun shoots straight, just a tad bit high and looks mean when the end of the barrel starts smoking :)

now heres my question: what are common reasons for a recent convert to misfire? i emptied a mag on the 25 yard range, loaded another 10 in, moved over to the 50 yd, chambered a round, pulled the trigger, misfire..chambered another one: same thing. chambered another one: same thing. so i detach mag, unchamber the round still inside and field strip it. nothing seemed out of place other than the main spring seemed a little "loose" on one side (sorry the uneducated lingo.) after checking everything, i reassembled, loaded the mag up and blasted away another 75 rds without a single problem. could that have been a single, isolated event never to happen again or is this a sign of a deeper issue? any (helpful) ideas are welcome :)

Were there dimples in the unfired primers from the firing pin hitting them when the hammer fell? If the there are deep dimples in the primers but the round did not go off, it is probably the surplus Yugo ammo. The yugo stuff is made by Ingmann, and is pretty good stuff. If there are no dimples in the primers, then probably for some reason the bolt failed to go completely into battery (action not quite closed). hard to say without being there to diagnose. Should have nothing to do with the mag.

so i just finished my conversion..took it to the range and sent 115 yugo surplus through her (now named Miss Fire). everything worked out wonderfully..the gun shoots straight, just a tad bit high and looks mean when the end of the barrel starts smoking :)

now heres my question: what are common reasons for a recent convert to misfire? i emptied a mag on the 25 yard range, loaded another 10 in, moved over to the 50 yd, chambered a round, pulled the trigger, misfire..chambered another one: same thing. chambered another one: same thing. so i detach mag, unchamber the round still inside and field strip it. nothing seemed out of place other than the main spring seemed a little "loose" on one side (sorry the uneducated lingo.) after checking everything, i reassembled, loaded the mag up and blasted away another 75 rds without a single problem. could that have been a single, isolated event never to happen again or is this a sign of a deeper issue? any (helpful) ideas are welcome :)

ok i think i got ur answer. those yugo rounds have alot of hard primers. i have this problem with my saiga and not with my draco or dads romy. i compared the hammer spring tension and can feel a considerable difference. i believe changing the factory saiga hammer spring to another will solve or at least make for a less frequent occurrence. of course it won't be as smooth of a trigger pull or just stick with russian ammo.

awesome thank you for the responses! to answer the first reply: no, there were no markings of any kind. the ammo is all yugo but different years and some even have different colored primers. so long story short: its the ammo not the gun?

cool. in my build my idea was to have this gun work with anything so when the shit hits the fan i know i have options with mags ammo etc... of course it's an evolution process for me and i'm still wanting change. in other words i'm still not done and it feels far from it.

If you installed a bullet guide, it may be touching the bolt and occasionally kep it from rotating into battery all the way. This is more common with home made bullet guides. If so, dry the bolt and the bullet guide, paint the bullet guide with a thin coat of white out and work the action. See if any white out transfers to the bolt. That means it is rubbing.

If the carrier does not travel all the way forward, there is a "tail" that sticks out that will prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin if fired with it out of battery. About 1/4" of a gap between carrier and front trunnion is all that is needed to prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin. Often the hammer striking the tail will cause it to travel that lasy 1/4 so you do not realize that it was not in battery at the time it was fired. Take yur top cover off, cock the UNLOADED weapon, and stop the carrier 1/2 to 1/4 inch from the full forward position. Pull the trigger and you will see what I mean.