1st Build - Full Auto!

Just finished my first Saiga conversion (.223)and it went great....with one exception. A little background first. I own a Saiga .223 & 7.62 and I decided to convert the .223. I read everything I could get my hands on and watched the videos multiple times so I was really familiar with the conversion steps although I had never done a conversion. Bought all my parts and furniture from Dinzag - can't speak highly enough about them. A one stop shop with great support from the owner Brian (thanks again!). I'm pretty handy but have never done any work on firearms other than cleaning and this only involves a basic takedown of the weapon. I was fairly confident after my "education" but figured I'd encounter problems & difficulties but I never did. Everything went quickly & smoothly and the conversion was easier than I thought it would be. I tested the FCG repeatedly and was satisified that everything was working properly so it was time to head to the range (or in my case the Desert) to test fire her. I loaded up the first mag, chambered a round and started firing. What a huge difference - no trigger travel, smoooooth release and a considerably lighter pull. The first 10 shots were perfect so I loaded up the second mag for my son (he's 20). He fired one round, paused, and then fired the next two in such rapid sucession that I thought he bump fired them. He stopped and we discuseed this but he said he didn't bump fire the rifle. We were both kinda curious at this point so he pulled the trigger again and instead of a single 4th shot, the rifle fired the remainder of the magazine (7 shots) in full auto mode. This was pretty cool but also a little scary because the rifle was clearly malfunctioning. There were some other people shooting about 100 yards away and they heard what was clearly full auto fire so we were now drawing unwanted attention. I had visions of calls being made and the authorities descending on our location :cryss: so we decided it was time to get home and figure out what was going on so we packed up and left. Because I had done the conversion myself, I knew how the FCG worked so I figured that something was preventing the hook on the trigger assembly from engaging and holding the hammer. When we got home, I discovered that the rear axis pin had shot loose and the trigger assembly had moved from its proper position and was not engaging the hammer. I had checked the retaining plate carefully when I installed it but I must not have had it properly engaged. I realigned the rear axis pin, reinstalled the FCG retaining plate CAREFULLY and the rifle functioned properly. I put pressure the the pin to see if it was being held by the plate and it seems to be.

I learned several things from this build. First, it's really not that hard if you read the info available on this site and others and watch the build movies. Second, doing the conversion yourself gives you a great understanding of how the weapon works. Third, the retainer plate (or whatever you're using to hold the axis pins in place) ARE CRITCAL. Screw this up and you've got an unreliable, unpredictable and potentislly dangerous weapon in your hands. Proper handling prevented any issues when we experienced accidental full auto fire but it was a little disconcerting. Fourth, I now realize how easy it would be to mod a FCG for full auto :super: ,which I'm not going to do :angel: . Ordering all the parts for my second conversion (the 7.62) on Monday. Can't wait to do it again.

• Like 1

Glad all is well.. suggest testing (if possible) at a local farm.. just to be sure..

Club-Fed is not good for your butt-cheeks.. :cryss:

I've seen the Axis pin come out abit from not being HELD in by the 'plate' or wire retainer properly so this DOES happen..

Glad you fixed it..

Albert

I bought a retainer plate once from Krebs Customs. (Good guy / Good products) I just happened to get a plate that was a little out of spec. The rear axis pin notch in the retainer plate was out of dimension just enough to look secure upon assemble, but under the force of recoil & firing the rear pin would come loose. So this is something you might want to check! In my case I didn't send it back for a replacement, instead I kept it as a template so I can make my own retainer plates out of saws-all blades. Saws-all blades are the perfect metal, perfect thickness. I custom make each notch to securely hold the pins in place. 8)

P.S. I wasn't going to say any more about it but, YWHIC (AL) Dude, I said "GENTLY", with the socket man, Jezzzz!!! I'm sorry about you magazine tube brother. Even though the socket method worked for me once, after what happened to you. I went on line to see if I could find a better way....I think I have. Next time I remove dimples from an 870 mag tube this is how I'm doing it! http://www.rem870.com/2010/01/17/removing-dimples-on-remington-870-magazine-tube/ again man I feel bad about your out come. :cryss:

Yep - I like my butt cheeks just the way they are! BTW - I've always been curious about AKs but this is my first experience with one. I own an AR15 that's an absolute tack driver but I gotta admit that the AK is an incredible weapon. It's tough, simple and dependable. If the SHTF and I had to choose, I'd take the AK.