how to sight in a POSP.

I have recently purchased a Saiga 762x39 and also got a hold of a POSP scope and mount. I have been shooting for a while but this will be my first attempt at sighting in a scope. And since the directions that come with the scope are a little confusing to me, i was looking for some advise for anyone out here. Thank you all!

1) Mount the scope.

2) Get a couple large "shoot n' see" targets.

3) Set up your target(s) (I go 50 yards and push out to 100).

4) Rest the rifle on something; a bag, a bench, a gun-vice, etc. You want as little movement as possible when sighting it in.

5) Load the gun, preferably with ammunition it was designed to shoot.

6) Aim at the target through the scope.

7) Shoot at the center- it gives the most margin for error and will help prevent you from missing with a badly dialed in scope.

7) Adjust the scope through the circular knobs at the top (up/down) and right (left/right) of the scope.

Once dialed in, they're great scopes, Just make sure it was designed for the caliber you're shooting (if it's 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R). They have downloadable English versions of the manual if you're interested at Kalinka.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/108/

Place that little arrow at the target and pull the trigger.

Your post is confusing. Are you looking for instructions how to zero-sight the scope or how to aim and correct with a scope?

[/quot

I need some advise on "how to zero in a POSP"? I have never used any type of scope/optic before, let alone a scope like the POSP. I recall reading something about the scope being set in meters vs. yards, does this change anything? Dont get me wrong i have been using iron sights for years, but never used a scope. I hear about the ease of zeroing in a scope, but i have never done it my self so any advise on how to zero in a POSP?

I need some advise on "how to zero in a POSP"? I have never used any type of scope/optic before, let alone a scope like the POSP. I recall reading something about the scope being set in meters vs. yards, does this change anything? Dont get me wrong i have been using iron sights for years, but never used a scope. I hear about the ease of zeroing in a scope, but i have never done it my self so any advise on how to zero in a POSP?

The procedure for setting up a scope is so easy...and so often misunderstood.

What you are wanting to do is get your Point of Aim, aka POA, to your Point of Impact, aka POI. Many shooters try to do the reverse, bad mistake.

The quickest way to get your rifle/scope combination sighted in on paper is...DO NOT SHOOT AT PAPER. At least, not while you are getting sighted in.

Shoot at an object on the berm, @ 50-75 yrds, a big dirt clod, a claybird, or such. Check where you hit on the bank, POI, and compare to where you were aiming at, POA. The berm should show the disruption of the impact, but enlist the help of a spotter if needed.

With your unloaded rifle firmly braced, aim at your original Point of Aim- POA. Now, adjust the cross hairs of the scope until they center on your Point of Impact-POI. Now, when you swing the crosshairs back to your claybird or whatever on the berm, you will move the POI and POA for that yardage back to your claybird. Fire again to verify. One click or so for fine tuning and you should be on, in no more than 3 shots.

• Like 1

Just zero normally as everyone has suggested by adjusting the dials until the reticule matches the bullet impact. I agree you should start at 50 and move to 100 after you have a good 50 yard zero. During this process you'll end up with the dials being set at numbers way different than 1 for elevation and 0 for windage. This is normal. The scope is technically zeroed at that point but if you want the BDC cam to work (and assuming you have a scope calibrated for 7.62x39) you'll want to do one more step.

A POSP has two parts two for each dial, the top portion which controls the reticule and the silver drum which controls where the elevation or windage numbers are. Out of the box they move together by design but you can loosen the screws to get the silver drum to rotate independantly of the reticule and this is how to reset the silver drum to match the distance you are zeroed at.

Once you are on target and consistently hitting where the reticule is pointed, take a jewlers screw driver and loosen the two small screws on the top of each dial. Slip the silver drum back to 1 for elevation and 0 for windage, then tighten down the screws again and fire a few more rounds to confirm the reticule is still on target. The top portion of the dial has tension on it so you know when you are actually moving the reticule instead of just slipping the drums. It only takes a minute or two to feel the difference and after that it's pretty obvious what the scope is doing.

Most of the time POSPs are calibrated in 7.62x54r but there are a few that are for 7.62x39. The easy way is to look at the range finder and see if it's 1000m or 400m. If it's 400m it should be for 7.62x39. If it's 1000m and 7.62x54r no worries, you can easily and effectively use the scope anyway you just won't have an accurate BDC. Instead just learn how high to hold over for a given distance and you'll be good to go.

POSP's and PSO scopes are tough as nails and can take a beating, and do a great job on 7.62 AK's

Z

Just zero normally as everyone has suggested by adjusting the dials until the reticule matches the bullet impact. I agree you should start at 50 and move to 100 after you have a good 50 yard zero. During this process you'll end up with the dials being set at numbers way different than 1 for elevation and 0 for windage. This is normal. The scope is technically zeroed at that point but if you want the BDC cam to work (and assuming you have a scope calibrated for 7.62x39) you'll want to do one more step.

A POSP has two parts two for each dial, the top portion which controls the reticule and the silver drum which controls where the elevation or windage numbers are. Out of the box they move together by design but you can loosen the screws to get the silver drum to rotate independantly of the reticule and this is how to reset the silver drum to match the distance you are zeroed at.

Once you are on target and consistently hitting where the reticule is pointed, take a jewlers screw driver and loosen the two small screws on the top of each dial. Slip the silver drum back to 1 for elevation and 0 for windage, then tighten down the screws again and fire a few more rounds to confirm the reticule is still on target. The top portion of the dial has tension on it so you know when you are actually moving the reticule instead of just slipping the drums. It only takes a minute or two to feel the difference and after that it's pretty obvious what the scope is doing.

Most of the time POSPs are calibrated in 7.62x54r but there are a few that are for 7.62x39. The easy way is to look at the range finder and see if it's 1000m or 400m. If it's 400m it should be for 7.62x39. If it's 1000m and 7.62x54r no worries, you can easily and effectively use the scope anyway you just won't have an accurate BDC. Instead just learn how high to hold over for a given distance and you'll be good to go.

POSP's and PSO scopes are tough as nails and can take a beating, and do a great job on 7.62 AK's

Z

thanks!! everyone's input will sure help. i will be heading out to the range sometime this week. GOOD INFO!