saiga 7.62x39 barrel was damaged while cutting on the FSB shroud

post-26904-0-13444700-1289200248_thumb.jpgHi! anyone can help me decide on how to solve my problem. I have a saiga 7.62, I am trying to cut my FSB shroud 1 inch backward from the very front tip to accommodate my muzzle brake thinking that the threaded part of the barrel is 1 inch long. What happened was, I cut too deep all around using the hacksaw and didn't realize that i was cutting already on the barrel and i think that i only have 1.4mm thick of metal left all around the barrel. Is this still safe to use the rifle on this condition or should i weld the barrel all around just to fill up the damaged portion. I am also thinking of replacing the FSB with ak74 FSB with 24mm x 1.5 thread and put ak74 style muzzle brake on it. By the way, i am currently living in illinois.

post-26904-0-75267300-1289200420_thumb.jpg

post-26904-0-46686500-1289200431_thumb.jpg

Edited by mcmar
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
post-26904-0-58374100-1289882578_thumb.gifUpdates for my Saiga 7.62x39. I cancelled the cutting of my barrel from my local gunsmith and I bought the bulgarian FSB and Ak 74 USA made muzzle brake made by krebs custom. I did the work by myself on cutting the original FSB that is on the rifle and installed the new bulgarian FSB 24mm. This is the title on my videos in youtube--Saiga 7.62x39 FSB (Front sight block) removal and replace. Edited by mcmar

No! The cut did not go through the bore. I did remeasured the cut and the thickness of the metal left and I figured out that I still have 1.8 mm of thickness all around and that is more thicker than the muzzle of any 1911 45 pistol. So, I guess it would still be ok and there isn't much pressure on the muzzle side of the barrel.

To the OP:> Do you have a picture of the bore? Did the cut go into the bore enough to allow light to pass through? If so you will need to cut and recrown the barrel. Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help.

To the OP:> Do you have a picture of the bore? Did the cut go into the bore enough to allow light to pass through? If so you will need to cut and recrown the barrel. Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help.

No! The cut did not go through the bore. I did remeasured the cut and the thickness of the metal left and I figured out that I still have 1.8 mm of thickness all around and that is more thicker than the muzzle of any 1911 45 pistol. So, I guess it would still be ok and there isn't much pressure on the muzzle side of the barrel. I hope it will be ok!

I think you might be ok, A stratagy you may want to pursue is test firing the rifle when no one is around and with some sort of protective barrier in case the end comes apart violently. Test it, than if its fine shoot it. If its not fine, come back and report. :super:

• Like 2

0d22a971.jpg

Here is my hack job.

Link to the thread:

My link

It still shoot great. No problems.

Good news! I went to the range today and i tried shooting my saiga x39 with the damage muzzle(barrel) and I was surprised that the rifle still shoot great. I dumped 150 rounds of russian ammo and it did not blow up the barrel. I have this video today at the range-----Youtube :

Step 5. Saiga 7.62x39 FSB (Range report after FSB was replaced). (on youtube) or just type saiga fsb.

Edited by mcmar

I am going to the range this coming saturday to test the rifle but, i will not put the muzzle brake for the first 30 rounds to be safe.

If its not fine, come back and report. :super:

with pictures preferably

I will be taking videos of my firing test on this rifle these coming saturday.

Good news! I went to the range today and i tried shooting my saiga x39 with the damage muzzle(barrel) and I was surprised that the rifle still shoot great. I dumped 150 rounds of russian ammo and it did not blow up the barrel. I have this video today at the range-----Youtube :

Step 5. Saiga 7.62x39 FSB (Range report after FSB was replaced). (on youtube) or just type saiga fsb.

Edited by mcmar

I think you might be ok, A stratagy you may want to pursue is test firing the rifle when no one is around and with some sort of protective barrier in case the end comes apart violently. Test it, than if its fine shoot it. If its not fine, come back and report. :super:

I went to the range today and test firing the rifle and it was all ok. I have a video at the range posted on youtube today titled Step 5. Saiga 7.62x39 FSB (Range report after FSB was replaced). (on youtube) or just type saiga fsb. Thanks for your advise.

I am very happy now!