1st .308 Conversion

Finally finished converting my .308. It took me a while because I was working on it in my spare time. I used tapco foregrip, stock and pistol grip because this is will only be a hog/varmint gun, so I did not want to spend a whole lot on it. Maybe later I'll put something nice on it. I also mounted a bushnell zoom dot scope. It sits a little high, so I'm thinking about a TWS dog leg rail but I haven't even shot it in the converted form so I'll just wait a little.

saiga1.JPG

convertred%20.308.JPG

If I do another conversion I know I'll be able to do it faster, but I decided just to take my time since there was downtime before deer/duck season in Texas.

Looks good..

My Bushnell came with LOW rings with it..

Same UTG978 mount though.. I have that similar setup on my 762x39.. works fine for me .. 65/3 dot in doughnut is kewl..

How was the WELDs on the plate.??. ughh...

The mount was already on the gun when I purchased it.

Yes getting of that plate on the bottom was the hardest part given my small selection of tools to use, drill, dremel, plier, screwdriver. I thought I was really messing it up but thankfully it ended up working out.

KC913.. I'm thinking its the UTG978 at a VERY LOW (aka @ cost)

If I needed another mount I'd snag one and compare.. heck save $20 from other sources..

Longhorn.. got any other pics of the red dot a little closer with the rings??

That is definately a HIGH ring.. get another 30mm ring (LOW)..

I like the 1-10MOA dot.. is the dot a 1/2 inch at 100 yards for adjustment??

The price on that is WOW :eek:

Edited by YWHIC

If I needed another mount I'd snag one and compare.. heck save $20 from other sources..

getting a lower ring is definitely worth it for the $ as opposed to spending 150 on TWS deal. I'll get more pictures up after work.

getting a lower ring is definitely worth it for the $ as opposed to spending 150 on TWS deal. I'll get more pictures up after work.

How did you handle getting through the trigger plate welds? I'm going to be doing a conversion myself and am curious.

How did you handle getting through the trigger plate welds? I'm going to be doing a conversion myself and am curious.

I grinded the rivets down and punched/drilled those out.

I put the gun on a workbench vise (didn't have a gun vise), I lined the vise with some wash cloths as to not scratch the gun. I then used heavy duty pliers, not needle nose, to lift up the trigger plate around the weld on all sides as much as possible while also using the flat head to pry it up too. Then all I really did was wiggle the metal back and forth with the pliers and the weld eventually ripped. It didn't involve a lot of finesse but it worked.

Edited by longhorn03