It looks like a solid rifle, and I see some decent deals currently on new ones. However, I've been reading some reviews and feedback concerning the newer ones, apparently people are having issues with extraction on the heavy match barrel. I talked to a guy at the gun store today, seemed pretty knowledgeable, and he said that the gun was designed to have a fluted barrel, which the newer ones don't have.

Anybody have any idea what the deal is with the newer ones? Should I save some more money and try to get an older JLD stamped rifle? I'd love to have the cash for a real deal HK, but that's not happening anytime soon.

I'm not familiar with what PTR is doing specifically, but if they are indeed barreling the guns without fluted chambers, then that's the problem. Delayed blowback won't work without the fluted chamber. I just have a hard time believing that a company that works on almost nothing other than delayed blowback rifles would screw something like that up.

I'm not familiar with what PTR is doing specifically, but if they are indeed barreling the guns without fluted chambers, then that's the problem. Delayed blowback won't work without the fluted chamber. I just have a hard time believing that a company that works on almost nothing other than delayed blowback rifles would screw something like that up.

This was exactly my thinking. It seems like a major issue to overlook.

But the fact that the rifle is US made, so I could put foreign parts on it, coupled with the fact that mags are so cheap, makes it really attractive.

I bought my PTR last year and it runs fine. Zero problems. The chamber is fluted and makes the fired brass look bad, but still reloads good, IF you can find the empty brass. It throws it into the next county.

How does it run with steel case ammo? Is yours one of the new ones with the heavier barrel, or is it an older one?

It looks like a solid rifle, and I see some decent deals currently on new ones. However, I've been reading some reviews and feedback concerning the newer ones, apparently people are having issues with extraction on the heavy match barrel. I talked to a guy at the gun store today, seemed pretty knowledgeable, and he said that the gun was designed to have a fluted barrel, which the newer ones don't have.

Anybody have any idea what the deal is with the newer ones? Should I save some more money and try to get an older JLD stamped rifle? I'd love to have the cash for a real deal HK, but that's not happening anytime soon.

It is a US made, civilianized HK G3 clone. JLD bought the entire production line and stock from FMP/Indep - the Portuguese national firearms firm that was licensed from HK to build the G3 for the Portuguese defense force. It is as 'real deal' as you can get new now in the US.

Earlier JLD rifles (they dropped the name JLD in about 1996 or 1997) used more NOS Portuguese parts a nine flute chamber and US made barrel (can't recall the manufacturer off the top of my head). In about 1997 they experimented with a 12 flute chamber and a TC barrel to allow better performance with civilian .308 ammo (a true G3 clone will risk case head separation shooting anything but genuine 7.62).

Sarco is still selling earlier model JLD rifles.

I carried an issue G3 for a while, years ago and now own a PTR. Great rifles - enjoy!

This was exactly my thinking. It seems like a major issue to overlook.

But the fact that the rifle is US made, so I could put foreign parts on it, coupled with the fact that mags are so cheap, makes it really attractive.

I bought my PTR last year and it runs fine. Zero problems. The chamber is fluted and makes the fired brass look bad, but still reloads good, IF you can find the empty brass. It throws it into the next county.

How does it run with steel case ammo? Is yours one of the new ones with the heavier barrel, or is it an older one?

I don't run steel case .308 so I can't say. I said I bought it last year, but I was wrong. I bought it in NOV of 2008, so I assume it is the heavier one.

battle.jpg