"newbie" 1st attempt at converting a 762x39

In live in the North Los Angeles area, and recently purchased a saiga 762. And I want to add a traditional style pistol grip and butt stock and all the bells and whistles. is there a local gunsmith (North LA) who can do the conversion for me. (I dont have very many tools/drills).

you might wana get a phone book and check. That might get you a faster response. I know some gunsmiths are Saiga Savvy and some arent. Thats just what I would do. There are tutorials on this forum that show exactly how to do the conversion and what tools you will need: stepbystepconversionwithpics by Moe Z.

Also this by CSS: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-template/Videos-and-Links/Page

Edited by AZG

Depending on your comfort level with tinkering, a basic conversion can be done at home with a drill/Dremel and a few hours. The hardest parts are drilling out a spot weld, and tapping the trunnion for the bullet guide.

Since you are in California, you will need to take into account local laws regarding pistol grips and bullet buttons in addition to the Federal 922r regs.

A smith should be able to convert it very easily, depending on what else you want done to it. But not all smiths are familiar with Saigas so look for someone who has some knowledge of AKs.