308 optic set up advice

Ordered a saiga 308 16" barrel. Looking at scope options. I want to use it for plinking and hunting. I don't need to crazy optics as I don't shoot over about 400 yards in most cases. Here is what I am looking for.

Retention of iron sight use

Able to be used left handed

8 or 9x power for a scope.

So as far as I can tell, there are three ways I could go. Posp which some have said is hard for a left others have said it is not a big deal. Any thoughts, these allow iron sights and would be sweet any thoughts for lefties?

beryl rail from CSS can mount any optic but would not allow iron sights to be used can one mount flip up ironsights on this rail?http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-336/Saiga-rifle-AK47-Beryl/Detail

like a flip up back sight that would work with the stock front sight? I doubt it.

side mount scope rail http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-127/AK47-SAIGA-SCOPE-MOUNT/Detail there are two profiles this one and a low profile, I assume the low profile would not allow use of iron sites.

any advice would be appreciated

If you've already got a nice piece of glass, go for this;

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/est-ak-saiga-vepr-side-mount-w-side-weaver-rail-and-1-rings.html

It should allow the use of optics and Irons like you want. Those POSP ,mounts are great for the money. I don't know how well they'd work with a shortened .308 though, due to the scopes being set for specific calibers (7.62x39 and 7.62x54r). Best of luck to you!

I think the problem with POSPs he's thinking of is the fact that the scope axis is off to the side of the bore axis. That'd make it tough to shoot left-handed.

Leapers mounts are usually pretty high off the bore, I think. You should be able to see under it if you're willing to settle for chin-weld when using the scope.

I do have that particular Beryl rail. It does not allow use of iron sights. You're best bet is a Texas Weapon System dogleg rail. You're not going to get away cheap on that, I'm afraid, unless you compare it to the Krebs rail.

Edited by DrThunder88

So far the best side mounted rail that centers the best is the 5th Gen one made by UTG Leapers. There have been other threads in this forum about this. I also have one on my S223 and it works great with my 1-4x scope. These rails are bout $35 through most outlets on the Internet.

I have th e UTG 3rd gen and it sits too low to use the iron sights. You can mount the scope on a higher mount but, yeah it will screw with your cheekweld. I think a dogleg style rail is your best bet. I know I've seen at least one with a flip up iron sight or a fixed one built into the rail. Problem is you'll probably end up spending a lot more for a good dogleg rail.

edit: TWS dogleg rail $139

Peep sight for TWS rail: $39

Edited by nsdhanoa