16" 308 Range Report

Went to the range today to sight in a new scope on my 16" Saiga 308 and chrono some ammo. Below are the results. The one color target has 6 shots of which 3 were Wolf and 3 were Radway Green. I was going to mark them separately but I had no idea they would both group together as they did. All the other targets indicate brand of ammo and chrono speeds. The 2 shots without chrono speeds did not record properly (showed over 5000fps) so they were not credible.

My observation is that ammo makes all the difference with these guns. I was using shooting rest bags front and rear. The tightest group using the TW 69 headstamp ammo was the last group that was shot. Temp was around 70, wind 5-10.

post-27466-0-61534500-1290482055_thumb.jpg

post-27466-0-83987800-1290482062_thumb.jpg

post-27466-0-98049500-1290482068_thumb.jpg

post-27466-0-91894200-1290482074_thumb.jpg

post-27466-0-46352300-1290482080_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good shooting! It was at 100 yards, I take it? Shooting three is a good idea too. The fourth and fifth shots are usually where my groups start falling apart.

Yes it was at 100 yds. I first got it on paper at 50 yds with a target I did not post, then moved out to 100 yds for these targets. The little Winchester shooting bags I got at Wally World made a big difference in my groups compared to the carpet covered shooting rests at the range I had been using. Once the rifle gets settled into position in the bags it holds position well. Now I just need to buy the parts to convert mine. These groups were done with a bone stock rifle. All I have done is buy the side scope mount and mounted a scope that I already had. I can't wait to get a decent FCG on this thing as the stock trigger is crap. There is no indication as to when the trigger will break. Every shot is a surprise.

sorry for the double post. The system said there was an error and I reposted before I looked at the forum again.

Good shooting! It was at 100 yards, I take it? Shooting three is a good idea too. The fourth and fifth shots are usually where my groups start falling apart.

Yes it was at 100 yds. I first got it on paper at 50 yds with a target I did not post, then moved out to 100 yds for these targets. The little Winchester shooting bags I got at Wally World made a big difference in my groups compared to the carpet covered shooting rests at the range I had been using. Once the rifle gets settled into position in the bags it holds position well. Now I just need to buy the parts to convert mine. These groups were done with a bone stock rifle. All I have done is buy the side scope mount and mounted a scope that I already had. I can't wait to get a decent FCG on this thing as the stock trigger is crap. There is no indication as to when the trigger will break. Every shot is a surprise.

Edited by jacksmad1

What is TW 69?

According to an internet search, it is US Surplus ammo manufactured in 1969 at the Twin Cities Armory or Arsenal which was run under contract by Federal. My understanding is they are not making ammo there any longer. I wish I could find some of this in bulk but my brother happened to find about 50 rounds at a gun show. If anyone knows where there is some available, if the price was reasonable, I would be interested for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice shooting!

Are the pictures listed as they were shot (1st picture being first group and so forth)?

How many rounds had you put down the barrel before using those targets?

I'm curious to how hot the barrel was. Almost seems to be more accurate the hotter the barrel got if pictures indicate order of groupings.

Nice shooting!

Are the pictures listed as they were shot (1st picture being first group and so forth)?

How many rounds had you put down the barrel before using those targets?

I'm curious to how hot the barrel was. Almost seems to be more accurate the hotter the barrel got if pictures indicate order of groupings.

Actually no. I tried to post them in sequence but the editor switched them up for some reason. The targets were shot in this sequence:

1. Red yellow and black target

2. Fed 150 g SP Red Box

3. RG 150 g SP

4. Fed 150 g SP with chrono errors

5. TW 69

I was not shooting fast and I was shooting 1 at a time, manually loading like a bolt gun.

If I remember correctly, I walked down and replaced targets between the 3 and 4 targets.

The barrel was not very hot as I was leaving it unchambered between shots to allow air circulation, so it was warm but not hot.

Another thing to bear in mind is this is an unmodified rifle with stock trigger. Since I did this, I have since converted it with the CSS conversion kit with new stocks, FCG, and PG.

When the weather allows I want to go back and do more testing. Too cold and windy now.

If you position your mouse cursor over the photos of the targets, the first character of each photo name is the sequence number they were shot in.

Edited by jacksmad1