Installing bullet guide w/o drill press

Sure, lots of us have, myself included. Pick up a center punch (Mine was spring loaded, awesome! $3.00 from harbor freight) and make a good indentation in the trunnion. Using lots of cutting oil, drill through the trunnion with the provided drill bit, making sure you're drilling straight and true, and backing out after each couple of turns to clear the bit. After you pop through the trunnion, switch over to the tap: I used a cheap tap wrench, again from harbor freight. Lots of cutting oil, back out after 1/4 turn of resistance and clear it out. It takes less than 15 minutes and can be done pretty much anywhere!

• Like 2

Another one here, I use a hand drill for bullet guides, even gas block, and FSB channels. MN is spot on about using a center punch. It can be a pain to drill with a hand drill, but definitely can be done with good results. Also, good drill bits help a lot, CSS and Dinzag kits include nice cobalt/titanium bits so no worries there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I just finished up about an hour ago and it seemed to work pretty well. I ran into a couple of snags - underestimated how hard the metal in the trunnion is and my punch made more of a scratch! But, it was enough to get me going. I bought a cheapo Kobalt tap wrench from Lowes that sucked! It kept coming loose. So, I ended up putting the tap in my drill and just turned it with my hand. Cycled a few rounds through with zero problems! Awesome! Can't wait to take it to the range.

• Like 1