time for an upgrade on the 7.62

ok, i'm ready for an upgrade. what internal parts do you recommend? fcg, hammer spring and springs, fcg pins retainer, for example. just looking for a list of the best available upgrades that i may not know about. i am going to remove the factory bho by the way.i don't care for it. thanks for your opinions.

p.s. i have: g2, factory springs, and shepherds crook retainer.

it's a complete restoration. did it a year and a half ago. just wanted to here what some of the best internal parts are, like red stare trigger, best after market main spring, the best fcg retainer pin plate. and/or anything that would make it better than it already is.

it's a complete restoration. did it a year and a half ago. just wanted to here what some of the best internal parts are, like red stare trigger, best after market main spring, the best fcg retainer pin plate. and/or anything that would make it better than it already is.

Lots and lots of ammo will make it Better than it already is.

I am really sold on the Texas AK trigger double hook. Mine is smooth as silk and breaks at about 3 pounds. Tapcos may be better than K-Var FCGs, but I think Texas AK is best.

I just don't know about the Texas trigger on an assault rifle. On a scoped .308 Saiga, maybe.

Texas AK triggers work great on the Saiga7.62/223 platform.

I am really sold on the Texas AK trigger double hook. Mine is smooth as silk and breaks at about 3 pounds. Tapcos may be better than K-Var FCGs, but I think Texas AK is best.

I just don't know about the Texas trigger on an assault rifle. On a scoped .308 Saiga, maybe.

I'm sure they do, but personally, I don't see any need for that "extra" hook. Single-hook's good enough for Ivan, (and when's it ever failed?), so it's good enough for me.. besides which, I'm not into grinding on my Legion receiver unnecessarily. ;)

As for other "upgrades".. I might suggest a fcg pin retaining plate to replace the sheperd's crook, (the crook works fine but the plate is a lot easier to install/uninstall), and... that's about it.

I do not recommend aftermarket mainsprings. I bought one from JTE and it was not as advertised, which led to a little extra wear to my rear trunnion. :evil: Use the factory mainspring; it's purpose-built by the same Russkies who designed/built the rest of your rifle, and will likely outlast you.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Though I've never heard anything but great stuff about the G2, and mixed reviews on the kvar/arsenal ("trigger slap", etc), I've recently had a very famous AK gunsmith tell me he'd seen/had problems with G2s and would stick with the kvar/arsenal trigger groups.

So far I've had one texas double hook and a G2, but have a kvar/arsenal on the way. I didn't notice too much difference, except I think I liked the feel of the G2 a little better but it may have been the gun. That said, I was more accurate with the gun with the texas DH trigger, so who knows.

Though I've never heard anything but great stuff about the G2, and mixed reviews on the kvar/arsenal ("trigger slap", etc), I've recently had a very famous AK gunsmith tell me he'd seen/had problems with G2s and would stick with the kvar/arsenal trigger groups.

So far I've had one texas double hook and a G2, but have a kvar/arsenal on the way. I didn't notice too much difference, except I think I liked the feel of the G2 a little better but it may have been the gun. That said, I was more accurate with the gun with the texas DH trigger, so who knows.

Care to elaborate on what problems that "very famous AK gunsmith" was alluding to?

Shit, if you wanted an Arsenal trigger group, I could have sold you mine, (one I replaced with a Tapco G2)... :D

I maintain that double-hook triggers are entirely unnecessary and redundant.

• Like 1

I'm sure they do, but personally, I don't see any need for that "extra" hook. Single-hook's good enough for Ivan, (and when's it ever failed?), so it's good enough for me.. besides which, I'm not into grinding on my Legion receiver unnecessarily. ;)

As for other "upgrades".. I might suggest a fcg pin retaining plate to replace the sheperd's crook, (the crook works fine but the plate is a lot easier to install/uninstall), and... that's about it.

I do not recommend aftermarket mainsprings. I bought one from JTE and it was not as advertised, which led to a little extra wear to my rear trunnion. :evil: Use the factory mainspring; it's purpose-built by the same Russkies who designed/built the rest of your rifle, and will likely outlast you.

ymmv.

about the main spring, the factory has trouble with the yugo ammo. my draco has had no problems with yugo at all. i can tell a big difference in power of the mainspring between the two. i want a mainspring in my saiga that will have the same power and won't cause miss fires with yugo ammo. works fine with russian ammo i just wan't it working no matter what.