Compensator/AK-74 MB for 5.45 with 18.3mm/.721 in barrel

Hey Guys,

I checked all topics and wonder if late 5.45mm Saigas went for thicker barrel.

Seems like all "Tapco & Co" imitators (no offense!) are for 14x1 mm threads, and early barrels didn't need resizing for 14x1 threading.

I've just got mine (5.45) with ~18.3mm/ .721 in barrel OD.

Would like to add 24x1.5 thread adapter for Soviet/Bulgarian original pattern compensator, preferrably without removing FSB.

K-Var "original" looks good, but need to adapt to 24 mm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

CORRECTION.

That was silly of me, but if I'm not alone, here is response from Brian at DinzagArms (thanks, Brian!):

Look at the muzzle end, there's a thin sleeve on there over the barrel in front of the front sight block.

Slit that around the diameter with a dremel immediately in front of the front sight block tower. Then run a slit down the bottom & pop it off.Barrel should be 0.569" or so - ready to thread for 14x1LH.Alternately just remove the entire front sight block and replace with a 24mm threaded 74 front sight block.

Thank you for your business!

Brian Smithwick

aka-dinzag

Dinzag Arms

4098 E. Farrand Rd.

Clio, MI 48420

http://www.dinzagarms.com

dinzzag@yahoo.com

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Get a bulgy FSB and put the correct break on the gun, the after market breaks don't compare in performance. It is a fairly easy process and you will be much happier with the end result.

You know, I'm quite reluctant to remove FSB, even though it would be OEM for this purpose.

What do you think about using adapter (14x1 to 24x1.5) as intermediate modification?

AK-500.jpg

Like someone put on another forum, " I don't like the risk involved in removing the OEM FSB, the odds don't seem in my favor to install and drill guides for the AK-74 FSB without canting".

That's my biggest fear.

If you're replacing the Saiga FSB with a Bulgarian 24mm FSB you shouldn't need to drill guides...thats not making sense to me. Neither is the .721 outside diameter, it sounds like you're measuring the shroud and not the barrel itself.

The FSB holes are already drilled, thats how the Saiga FSB is secured. Punch the pins out, press it off, press on the 24mm FSB and replace the pins. To me it would seem harder to cut off the shroud, thread the barrel for 14x1 and then use an adapter to get to 24mm.

Brian's alternate suggestion is to replace the Saiga FSB with a Bulgarian FSB...thats what Niner is saying also. And I also think you'll like the proper FSB and 74 brake much more than having an adapter, which to me seems the least effective way to accomplish what you are after.

Z

If you're replacing the Saiga FSB with a Bulgarian 24mm FSB you shouldn't need to drill guides...thats not making sense to me. Neither is the .721 outside diameter, it sounds like you're measuring the shroud and not the barrel itself.

The FSB holes are already drilled, thats how the Saiga FSB is secured. Punch the pins out, press it off, press on the 24mm FSB and replace the pins. To me it would seem harder to cut off the shroud, thread the barrel for 14x1 and then use an adapter to get to 24mm.

Brian's alternate suggestion is to replace the Saiga FSB with a Bulgarian FSB...thats what Niner is saying also. And I also think you'll like the proper FSB and 74 brake much more than having an adapter, which to me seems the least effective way to accomplish what you are after.

Z

You're correct: .721 was measured over the shroud, before I realize it.

After reading above, and going the CK's "sticky" on FSB removal, I lean towards the "right way" vs. "band-aid".

And, yes, I should like the "proper" FSB (it served me well while in service).

Thank you for encouragement and suggestions!

Will post results once done (step one is a trigger group and PG).