questions about cutting the barrel

I plan to have my Saiga 308's barrel cut down, turned down at the muzzle, and threaded soon. The reason for cutting it down is that I feel it is very front-heavy already, and I plan to add a muzzle brake. I'm not sure exactly how much to cut. At least 2 inches, but anything shorter than 18 total barrel length would be too short for me. The blast and loudness is too much for my tastes on the 16 inch models.

I'm wondering if there might be any gas issues shortening the barrel. My rifle already does not eject very far at all, I'm concerned that cutting the barrel will possibly introduce reliability problems. Am I worrying about something that is not really a problem?

At what length does 308 get a full burn? How much weight can I be expected to save per inch of removed barrel? What other impacts will cutting the barrel down by various lengths have? Anybody who has cut down their barrel, please tell me about your experience.

Thank you.

I had my 22.5" Saiga chopped and threaded at 18". I absolutely love this length. It feels much better to me and I really like how it handles. I do not know if it is optimal for the .308 round, but I have read it is pretty good. Again, I am pleased and would definitely suggest it. In fact, I really like the 18" length on most rifles including my ARs in .223. It is still handles well and keep the velocity a tad higher. I used to have a 14.5" PTR-91 w/ a pinned flash hider. While I really liked it, the muzzle blast was a bit much. It wasn't too bad when shooting outdoors, but I definielty wouldn't want to shoot it at an indoor range.

I had my 22.5" Saiga chopped and threaded at 18". I absolutely love this length. It feels much better to me and I really like how it handles. I do not know if it is optimal for the .308 round, but I have read it is pretty good. Again, I am pleased and would definitely suggest it. In fact, I really like the 18" length on most rifles including my ARs in .223. It is still handles well and keep the velocity a tad higher. I used to have a 14.5" PTR-91 w/ a pinned flash hider. While I really liked it, the muzzle blast was a bit much. It wasn't too bad when shooting outdoors, but I definielty wouldn't want to shoot it at an indoor range.

Thanks for the input. I think I might go with 19 inches, whereas before I was leaning toward 20.

Go with the 18" length.

I had a 21" length barrel, cut it down to 18", added Vortex flash hider , which was about 1-1/2" length, the balance was perfect.

The flash hider tames the flash to a degree.

How much increase in muzzle rise and blast did you notice after cutting it down? I'm still debating flash hider vs. muzzle brake. Also, is the Vortex the one that "pings" with every shot?

I added a brake and didn't notice much difference in recoil at all from 22, to 16 w/break.

At 16 there is a noticable fireball when fired.

Did the work myself with the help of Brian from Dinzagarms.com. Cobra did a tutorial on here somewhere.