Optics tips and pointers

Since a lot of you guys run optics on your saiga 12, I figured some of you may have picked up some tricks over the years that may help some of us with less experience with optics on shotguns, particularly the Saiga12. Like...

When you are using multiple ammunition types (slugs, buckshot, 2 3/4"-3") in competition what are you sighting in say a red dot for?

If you're painting an optic, how are you covering the lenses if you want to paint right up to where the lense starts without damaging the lense?

What mounts and sights didn't work for you?

Basically if you learned something that would have saved you time and frustration had you heard about it before you started learning through trial and error, share it if you would be so kind?

I sight in my red dot with slugs at 50 yds, then tweak it at 100 yds, Go back to 50 and 20 yards with buckshot. It usually shoots my buckshot directly Underneath my dot at short ranges. I do not adjust my sight for buck shot, I just get used to where it is in relation to my dot.

As far as painting, I mask with Good old masking tape. Just wrap around optics tube as close to the lens end, then fold in toward the lens. If the remaining bit of black around end of tube is just unacceptable, you can cut out a circle of thin cardboard (6 pack holder) to diameter of lens, attach a 2" strip of tape to side "A", insert cardboard cirle Side"A" toward lens with the extra flap of tape sticking out toward you. This will mask the lens and the strip of tape allows you to easily pull out the cardboard circle when done , as it should be quite a snug fit.

I sight in my red dot with slugs at 50 yds, then tweak it at 100 yds, Go back to 50 and 20 yards with buckshot. It usually shoots my buckshot directly Underneath my dot at short ranges. I do not adjust my sight for buck shot, I just get used to where it is in relation to my dot.

As far as painting, I mask with Good old masking tape. Just wrap around optics tube as close to the lens end, then fold in toward the lens. If the remaining bit of black around end of tube is just unacceptable, you can cut out a circle of thin cardboard (6 pack holder) to diameter of lens, attach a 2" strip of tape to side "A", insert cardboard cirle Side"A" toward lens with the extra flap of tape sticking out toward you. This will mask the lens and the strip of tape allows you to easily pull out the cardboard circle when done , as it should be quite a snug fit.

good call with the cardboard cut out with the masking tape, but wouldn't the edge of the circle still let paint onto the lens? I was thinking make a circle that is about a centimeter smaller all the way around, then put a tack through the center then put tape over the back of the tack since the push part will be placed towards the lens, then take the dot and center it on the lens, masking tape around it and then use an exacto knife to cut so the tape covers the entire lens but also perfectly meets the edge of the lens, after painting the optic grab the pin part of the tack and pull the piece off clean with the tape.

I'm in the same boat as you (looking for an optic).

But I've painted a couple scopes before. I cut out a piece of foam that fit tightly inside the lens openings. I wanted a little extra piece of mind, so I put one of those round cotton face wipes on the lens, then pushed the foam over that. Worked like a charm.

I got one of those aimpoint R-1s and as its the only shiny silver thing on the gun other than the bolt, Im going to paint it. I was told the lenses are two different sizes; one the size of a quarter, and the other the size of a dime