So I finally got a chance to get my AK54R out to zero the PSO-1 scope and see if it's as good/bad as i've heard.

I put 60 rounds of surplus light ball through it today and the only issues were mag related. Think I need to flip the springs around in the mags as I've read before that some springs were put in backwards and it will effect feeding.

This rifle shoots great and the brake on the muzzle does a great job of dealing with recoil. After 60 rounds of .308 from my S308 I'd have a sore shoulder. With this weapon it's simply not the case. Plus, that 16" bbl makes a great fireball:)

I only had access to a 25m range today as the 50-150m range was full, it was pretty cold and getting nastier as I decided to pack it up.

As you can see the 4x24 PSO-1 (a Baghdad bring back from 03-04) is working well and the scope rail is level on the receiver. Very few adjustments to get it a couple inches low at 25m and hitting center left to right. The group on the bottom of the top target is a 10 shot string fired with about 3 seconds between shots. The 2 smaller holes were me messing around with my 5.45 and the large hole at 11 o'clock high was put in while zeroing the scope. I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of the lower target, but it was my "rapid fire test" and I put 20 rounds on target in about a minute with 1 reload due to the weapon using 10rd PSL mags. No discernable barrel over heating/whipping issues and no sore shoulder from a big boy cartridge...good time for everyone. Hope to get over to the 50-150m range either tomorrow or next weekend and see how she does at a real distance.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Thanks

Eric

IMG_0211.jpg

Edited by towerofpower93
  • Like 1

It was 35 degrees here today so that may have aided the lack of heat, plus it has AK100 style upper and lower HGs (with the metal insert removed on the lower for the barrel). I did 1 string of 20 rounds with time in between due to zeroing and what not, then did another 20 about 15 minutes later, then the final 20 (not shown on the target) were done in about a minute with the only stops being to reload and from a couple feed issues (dealt with those by dropping the mag and pushing the round all the way to the back of the mag again before retrying). No steam, no melting handguards, most certainly a different beast with the thicker 16" bbl.

Edited by towerofpower93

How long did it take you to put 60 rounds through? Any issues with overheating? I put 55 rounds through a PSL once in about 25 minutes and it was steaming, laminate melting, etc.

Jim am I reading that correctly? 55 rounds in 25 minutes?

Yes. Thirty-five of the rounds were careful, slow shots. Near the end, I fired ten moderate-paced shots standing with a hasty sling; I then reloaded, and finished with ten rapid fired. Steam was billowing out, laminate was melting off the handguard, and later I even found some inside the action! That day I decided not to buy a PSL.

To be fair, I wanted it to be something it was not designed for (an MBR). It's a good rifle for the DMR role.

The steam may have been the grease from around the recoil assembly cooking off. There was a ton of it on mine when I got it. I broke the recoil assembly down and wiped most of it off and I still had some heavy smoke until I fired the first 5 or 6 rounds off, then the smoking stopped and I didn't have any more the rest of the day.

Just a thought.

Yes. Thirty-five of the rounds were careful, slow shots. Near the end, I fired ten moderate-paced shots standing with a hasty sling; I then reloaded, and finished with ten rapid fired. Steam was billowing out, laminate was melting off the handguard, and later I even found some inside the action! That day I decided not to buy a PSL.

To be fair, I wanted it to be something it was not designed for (an MBR). It's a good rifle for the DMR role.

That's no good.

The steam may have been the grease from around the recoil assembly cooking off. There was a ton of it on mine when I got it. I broke the recoil assembly down and wiped most of it off and I still had some heavy smoke until I fired the first 5 or 6 rounds off, then the smoking stopped and I didn't have any more the rest of the day.

Just a thought.

I suspect it was the laminate from the handguards.

Just a thought.

I suspect it was the laminate from the handguards.

Makes sense. The Waffen Werks 54R comes with AK100 style poly furniture so the melting laminate/sealent issue isn't there. 750 with free shipping from Centerfire with 2 mags and a free 30 something piece rifle/pistol/shotgun cleaning kit seemed doable. Plus it gave me a chance to use the PSO-1 I've had for awhile.