FPK Tennessee Guns International, are they any good?

Want to know if these are any better than the CAI Romanian PSLs

1%20TGI-FPK%20762x54R%2024in%20BBL%201-1480xq.jpg

The reason I want to get is because it comes in the black poly furniture which has been so hard to get for the PSL.

What are your thoughts and comments on its quality and functionality?

Edited by FrustratedInCali

Haven't had any issues with the TGI guns I've owned. The biggest benefit to the TGI guns is the ability to use standard AK buttstocks and pistol grips - if you have a factory receiver from Romania, you're stuck with a thumbhole stock or custom furniture. The TGI guns are more expensive. If the difference in cost is worth it to you, go for it. The build quality is of no greater concern being built by TGI or at Cugir in Romania - but if TGI fucks a rifle up, you're in the same country as the manufacturer.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I discovered those rifles yesterday and WOW are the pictures beautiful. I was under the impression TGI had a very good reputation versus Century's hit and miss. I have a Century FN49 but they didn't really build it. Still FN barrel on FN milled receiver and FN guts. Only the stock is put on by century.

I discovered those rifles yesterday and WOW are the pictures beautiful. I was under the impression TGI had a very good reputation versus Century's hit and miss. I have a Century FN49 but they didn't really build it. Still FN barrel on FN milled receiver and FN guts. Only the stock is put on by century.

The one I tried out was not so good. The main problem was that the scope rail was horribly canted. I would not buy one without the chance to examine it ahead of time.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I had one and it was a dog. Couldn't hold better than 4 MOA with any ammo I tried and the scope rail was so badly canted I had to adjust the reticule all the way to the top of the field of view.

+1 on looking for a Cugir

Z

Century should not be an issue as long as one is buying a gun that they imported, not one that they built. Aren't the PSL's they have simply imports manufactured in Romania by Cugir? I have not heard of any problems with Cugir PSL's as long as one uses bullets that do not weigh more than 150 grains.

I have heard that PSL's have an issue with rapidly heating barrels (they have "pencil barrels). Is there any truth to this?

I have never owned a gun from TGI, but I have heard a lot of bad things about them. Supposedly some of the receivers of their earlier FPK's would not hold up.

Edited by 7N6Wolf
  • 2 weeks later...

Century should not be an issue as long as one is buying a gun that they imported, not one that they built. Aren't the PSL's they have simply imports manufactured in Romania by Cugir? I have not heard of any problems with Cugir PSL's as long as one uses bullets that do not weigh more than 150 grains.

I have heard that PSL's have an issue with rapidly heating barrels (they have "pencil barrels). Is there any truth to this?

I have never owned a gun from TGI, but I have heard a lot of bad things about them. Supposedly some of the receivers of their earlier FPK's would not hold up.

as long as the "cugir" is on the gun then you should be good to go.im not sure but i dont think century has spread their disease by puting togeather any PSL's and just stuck to importing them.yes they do have an issue with the barrel heating up due to it being thin.however it also cools fairly quick and if the gun is used for what it was intended for on the battle field you should be firing only a handfull of rounds(if this is not what you need then you have the wrong tool for the job,its time to break out the PKM and unleash sheer havoc) and then moving to a new position.in theory that alone should help keep the overheating from becoming a big problem and make it more difficult for your enemy to pin point you.i could go on and on but i would probably just bore you.as for the tgi me and several friends have been through psl's.it is hit and miss with tgi but alot less of a prob than like with century and any of their builds.i have 2 friends that have excellent tgi built psl's.the accuracy and reliability is identical to the romys with better looking wood.hope this helps.

Edited by BuzzNectar