Beryl Mount for Rifle With a Cut Off Rear Tang?

Hi guys,

I would like to re-work my S308 a bit, in order to make it lighter and more ergonomic. One of the things that I am not particularly crazy about with current config is the h BP-02 side-mount with a Weaver version of a POSP on it. The mount sticks out from the side and both it and the scope are bricks that weigh a ton. So, I would like to install some kind of a beryl rail and a lighter scope. The problem is, I have cut off the rear tang in order to install an Ace style internal stock adapter. Are there are beryl rail systems out there worth having that don't screw into the tang?

Another thing that I want to change is my stock. Its the Magpul PRS. It looks and works great, but it weighs like two and a half pounds, which is crazy. Right now, my rifle feels my a frigging light machine gun, but I want to use it for hunting. I am thinking of putting a lighter stock with a cheek riser on it: maybe Tromix, DPH, or even a Magpul CTR. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Here's what the beast look like now:

post-10789-0-17997700-1295852313_thumb.jpg

What about the TWS Gen. 2 for a rail? I can't speak on stocks, the only non-standard stock I have is a Magpul MOE on a CAA tube. It's light and solid, but I don't know if it can be adapted for a cheek riser.

Edited by DrThunder88

What about the TWS Gen. 2 for a rail? I can't speak on stocks, the only non-standard stock I have is a Magpul MOE on a CAA tube. It's light and solid, but I don't know if it can be adapted for a cheek riser.

Yes, they have a cheek rest for both.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-645/MAGPUL-CTR-MOE-CHEEK/Detail

The dog leg rail might work for you, as a previous poster suggested.

What about the bipod? Are you sure you need it? I always found them to complicate follow-up shots anyway.

How much does that handguard weigh? A few ounces could probably be saved by going to a different handguard, with a retainer.

As far as stocks go, the lightest choice would be the K-Var stock. At about 11 ounces, I'll bet it weighs less than half of what you've got on there right now.

You can save 1.5 ounces by switching to a ribbed top cover. Yea, it's not much, but every little bit counts.

The dog leg rail might work for you, as a previous poster suggested.

As far I understand it, it still being "beta tested". I am not sure that I want to be their lab rat, but this rail does look exactly what I need. Supposedly, it only adds 1.4 oz to the weight of the rifle! That's a huge improvement over my BP-02, which must be a pound.

What about the bipod? Are you sure you need it? I always found them to complicate follow-up shots anyway.

It's a genuine GripPod with metal reinforcing. It seemed like a good idea: a VFG and a bipod in one. I guess that it does add heft tho.

How much does that handguard weigh? A few ounces could probably be saved by going to a different handguard, with a retainer.

I don't believe that it's any heftier than the stock one. The plastic is thinner and the rails are plastic too.

As far as stocks go, the lightest choice would be the K-Var stock. At about 11 ounces, I'll bet it weighs less than half of what you've got on there right now.

That would be a good bet, because what I got on there now weighs 1.68 pounds (26.88 oz). LOL! Standard AK stocks like the K-Var ones are not an option once your rear tang is chopped off.

You can save 1.5 ounces by switching to a ribbed top cover. Yea, it's not much, but every little bit counts.

Yeah. The one I got on there right now is the military style AK100 cover, with the bottom stamping. The Dog Rail replaces the cover tho.

I hear you about not wanting to be beta tester for their product. I would just wait and see how it develops. If it is exactly what you are looking for, why rush to something else?

That would be a good bet, because what I got on there now weighs 1.68 pounds (26.88 oz). LOL! Standard AK stocks like the K-Var ones are not an option once your rear tang is chopped off.

Oops! Glad I never gave into the temptation to cut off my tang. I knew I'd regret it later if I did, the way I tend to change my mind so often.

Maybe the (butt-ugly) ACE ultralight stock?

I hear you about not wanting to be beta tester for their product. I would just wait and see how it develops. If it is exactly what you are looking for, why rush to something else?

Oops! Glad I never gave into the temptation to cut off my tang. I knew I'd regret it later if I did, the way I tend to change my mind so often.

Maybe the (butt-ugly) ACE ultralight stock?

I think I'm going to patent an adapter block that lets you use tang stocks if you cut yours off... I myself have regretted chopping off my tang but all the cool kids were doing it. :unsure:

I just had a wild idea. What if you got someone who already lopped off their tang to send you theirs. You could then bed that tang segment into the tang channel of a normal stock. That could provide a pretty stable platform for mounting the rail. Then you could use the leftover hole in the bottom of the receiver (behind the pistol grip) to sink another wood screw into the stock.

The TWS "Dograil" seems like the good option for me, once they get all the quirks worked out. I don't feel like messing with the "beta" and having to grind it to fit, etc. As far as the stock, pretty much any other "tangless" option, such as Ace, Tromix, DPH, Magpul MOE/CTR on a CAR tube, etc is going to be significantly lighter than this Magpul PRS beast, which was designed to be heavy, in order to stabilize and counter-balance heavy barreled precision rifles. I am thinking of getting rid of the grip pod and the Tapco Intrafuse and just getting a stock S308 HG (mine is broken). Basically, I need this to be a reasonably weighing rifle with no protruding edges, as I want to make it my hunting rifle. Seems doable.

The TWS Gen 2 is really your best option. So wait out the 'beta' period and get on the list. I have not heard much bad about it. I have a Krebs version as well as a TWS Gen 1, both of which I really like. I will be getting a TWS Gen 2 when they come out.

To drop weight, I would switch out the stock. An ACE standard stock would work fine. I have one on my Daewoo DR-200 and really like it. You can adjust it (up and down placement), so you may not need a cheek riser. I love my Magpul CTR stock (on my AR), so that is not a bad option and it looks like you have some of the parts needed.

Another thing is to switch out the scope. You already have the mount, so work with what you got. But, those Eastern Bloc optics are pretty heavy. I have a Weaver 2-7x and I bet it is half the weight. Aluminum rings will help keep the weight down. You can also mount it quite a bit lower, lessening the need for a cheek riser.