Saiga 12 MD Arms V-Plug

I hope this thread helps answer some questions, I myself have a few as well. I recently finished my Saiga 12, and needless to say I'm very happy with her. The video link below is of meat a local range.

The Saiga includes:

- Full pistol grip conversion with CSS conversion kit, all the internals are US made except the stock safety

- Tapco T6 retractable butt stock

- UTG quad rail

- UTG forward grip

- UTG flashlight/laser combo (have had no problems with either what so ever)

- MD Arms V-Plug

- King Armory Gas Tappet

- Bolts polished by Russian American Armory as well as ports checked

- And of course the MD Arms 20 round drum

So before I installed the KA gas tappet, she ran 2 3/4 Remington 00 Buck on setting 4 flawlessly if you're familiar with the V-Plug. I then installed the KA tappet and it would only run on 5, and it also felt way over-gassed. So I put a phone call through to Joey at King Armory, and we talked for a while. I told him my problem, and he said this is actually common. He said to refrain from using the KA tappet with the V-Plug or any after-market plug for that matter. The combination of both leads to the Saiga being over-gassed; the tappet being made primarily for the factory plug. So I took it to the range tonight and purchased 2 3/4 Remington Slugs and buck, except I used the factory tappet. She still would only fully extract on 5, which was disappointing. But the slugs did fine on setting 4. Anyone else shooting on 5, or is it just me? I feel like only bird and reduced recoil buck or other low brass should be firing on 5. The high brass should be extracting on at least 3 or 4.

I would like to thank Greg from CSS for all the help and products, I highly recommend you purchase from him great service and excellent shipping and always willing to help. Also thanks to Joey and KA, they're an honest company and make some serious products. MD arms has great products and customer service as well. Finally thanks to everyone on this forum, you guys are extremely knowledgeable and have helped me a lot throughout the past month. I really appreciate everything. God Bless

Edited by biggie7297

biggie, I can't agree with what you were told on an over gassed condition. In fact the results you are reporting is showing the opposite affect of that condition. I will explain in dept tomorrow on why but it has been a very long day. It will be a lengthy and in dept look at function of these parts and how they act. But I can tell you that the high power rounds you are talking about will typically be using the 2 and 3 setting of the V-Plug. Do this in the mean time. Check your ports. For 2008 and later guns a 19 inch should have 3 ports and 24 inch 2 ports. 2007 and earlier guns should have 4 ports in a 19 inch and 3 in a 24 inch. It sure sounds like you might be missing one. I'll be back tomorrow evening on the functional properties of the KA piston and the V-Plug.

• Like 2

I hope this thread helps answer some questions, I myself have a few as well. I recently finished my Saiga 12, and needless to say I'm very happy with her. The video link below is of meat a local range.

The Saiga includes:

- Full pistol grip conversion with CSS conversion kit, all the internals are US made except the stock safety

- Tapco T6 retractable butt stock

- UTG quad rail

- UTG forward grip

- UTG flashlight/laser combo (have had no problems with either what so ever)

- MD Arms V-Plug

- King Armory Gas Tappet

- Bolts polished by Russian American Armory as well as ports checked

- And of course the MD Arms 20 round drum

So before I installed the KA gas tappet, she ran 2 3/4 Remington 00 Buck on setting 4 flawlessly if you're familiar with the V-Plug. I then installed the KA tappet and it would only run on 5, and it also felt way over-gassed. So I put a phone call through to Joey at King Armory, and we talked for a while. I told him my problem, and he said this is actually common. He said to refrain from using the KA tappet with the V-Plug or any after-market plug for that matter. The combination of both leads to the Saiga being over-gassed; the tappet being made primarily for the factory plug. So I took it to the range tonight and purchased 2 3/4 Remington Slugs and buck, except I used the factory tappet. She still would only fully extract on 5, which was disappointing. But the slugs did fine on setting 4. Anyone else shooting on 5, or is it just me? I feel like only bird and reduced recoil buck or other low brass should be firing on 5. The high brass should be extracting on at least 3 or 4.

I would like to thank Greg from CSS for all the help and products, I highly recommend you purchase from him great service and excellent shipping and always willing to help. Also thanks to Joey and KA, they're an honest company and make some serious products. MD arms has great products and customer service as well. Finally thanks to everyone on this forum, you guys are extremely knowledgeable and have helped me a lot throughout the past month. I really appreciate everything. God Bless

if you have to turn up the v plug to 5 then you are undergassed, i usually use setting 3 for 00 buck and 5 for birdshot. setting 5 is the max amount of gas the plug will let in. so in short it sounds like you are undergassed.

I'm giving you verbatim what Joey said. With the KA tappet and V-Plug its too much gas going in the chamber, thus resulting with FTEs. I said its over gassed with both in there, but I understand what you're saying because they should be extracting on a much lower setting. Rather it's over or under gassed with the V-Plug and KA Tappet doesn't concern me, because I won't use the two together. Mixing the KA tappet and an after market plug is not a good idea at all. I know for a fact its under-gassed with the V-Plug and factory tappet, and that is what bothers me. But I have three ports, and according to Russian American Armory they are all drilled to spec. Joe said to try the V-Plug with the factory tappet first, which I did in the video but shot on 5. He then said if this fails to try the KA tappet and put the factory plug in, but I'm more of a fan of the V-Plug. Inevitably I may end up using the KA tappet, but I would like to stick with the V-Plug first. Thanks guys

Edited by biggie7297