Saiga MK 762 report

I posted this in another forum, but thought people here would also appreciate it.

Note: I am out of the country on business right now, which is how I got the chance to handle this rifle.

MK762a.jpg

This is yet another intriguing Kalashnikov variant that the folks in Izhevsk have been putting out for a few years. The Saiga MK series are semi-automatic only AKs with folding stocks. One of their unique design features is a safety that engages upon folding the stock. The weapon cannot be fired once the stock is folded, presumably to be in accordance with Russian laws regarding such weapons. I have always wanted to take a look at the device that prevents firing with the stock folded, mostly out of curiosity. It's an AK add-on similar to the bolt-hold-open lever we see in Saiga rifles and shotguns. I'll talk about the stock-safety later. I was given the opportunity to examine this guy pretty thoroughly, and hopefully will get to shoot it soon.

The first thing I noticed was that there appeared to be a third axle pin where the auto-sear goes.

3rdpin.jpg

Instead, I found that the factory did drill the hole, but they plugged it with a blank which looks like a 2nd center support put in the hole. Don't think the ATF would like such a piece; hence our Saigas don't have that hole drilled.

3rdpinblock.jpg

As I looked at it, I noted that the safety lever was a Saiga lever, with the dimple pushed out to the edge. At the same time, the receiver still had cuts in it for a standard selector lever, and had Russian markings for "auto" and "semi". As I picked the rifle up to clear it, I attempted to push the lever down to semi, but it stopped. You can see there's a dimple in the receiver that catches the safety lever's dimple. That's as far down as it will go. The device that locks the safety lever when the stock is folded also blocks the lever from traveling any further. After clearing the weapon, I removed the top cover, recoil spring, and bolt-carrier assembly. This assembly is standard AK. I forgot to look for the sear-trip, but I'll check it out when I go shoot it.

Safetylever.jpg

I then turned my attention to the muzzle brake, gas block, and front sight base. The muzzle brake is a standard Izhmash brake for 7.62 with no chrome lining. The FSB and gas block appeared at first to be dimpled, as late-model AK's are. When I looked closer, the "dimples" were partially drilled, and the FSB and gas block were drilled for pins below the barrel as in the past. Don't know why they drilled them like that. Maybe they come prepped to be pressed on that way.

FSBandFH.jpg

FSBandFH2.jpg

The butt stock is the smooth type, no ridges.

Buttstock.jpg

5.5mm hinge pin, and if you look closely at the hinge area, you'll notice a cut in the hinge.

Rearhinge.jpg

This cut allows the device that controls the safety lever to pass through the rear trunnion and into it. Once it is extended, the safety moves freely.

Hingewithcut.jpg

Reartrunnionwithcut.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the device that controls the safety lever.

Safetydevice1.jpg

Safetydevice2.jpg

In other news, there is a bullet guide in place, so standard AK mags should work. The only thing I had on hand was the 5-rounder that the rifle came with.

• Like 7

Great pictures. Strange that the factory bothers with the 3rd evil pin at all...

Because they know it's not evil, just how certain cars we buy can go 150+ mph, even though local laws prohibit more than 75 mph. Is having the ability to go 150+ mph evil? No. So why should a little hole that facilitates proper function of a weapon be considered evil if it's only natural?

But of course I wouldn't expect any politicians to understand that :lolol: But I bet they damn well want their "personal" bodyguards to be armed with weapons that have the natural auto feature ;) However, if they're so keen on disarming the public, they better include their bodyguards :) But then they feel vulnerable!!

Hypocrisy at its finest!!

Edited by VaiFanatic
  • Like 3