reloading 20 guage shot rounds

I know this may have been answered before on here and other forums. But safety is always my first priority.

1. I am very much ready to choose a S20 for my wife as it has easier recoil. I have no real concerns about what to buy, since I have been taking in all that information on other areas of this site.

2. I would want to reload as many shells after being fired. The question I have is, is this idea feesable considering I want to reload buck shot into the hulls. The idea is to shoot a lot of skeet and trap, recover said hulls, then reload them into a defensive round. Is this possible or are the wheels in my melon spinning too much. Which type of hulls, high brass, low brass?

You have to forgive me, I am new to this type of shooting, before it was completely different. from where I come from which is small bore rifle and pistol target things and, with security where I worked with heavier weapons.

first. get a reloading manual. most if not all of your questions can be answered there.

second yes you can reload 20 ga. lee make a load all that is interchangable betwwen 12 ga and 20 ga (just got to but the parts)

avoid fiber based hull when reloading.

check out gunbroker for components (wads etc) everytime i look for 12 ga wads

i end up finding a crap load for 20 ga (usually dirt cheap)

yes you can make some decent "defense loads" i find a sing .58 cal rnd ball fit quite nicely in a cup. also minnie balls (for muzzle loading) make good slugs. #2 is the best buck for 20 ga in my opinion. but you can use 00.

also as far as hulls i find remington work the best. but for 20 ga you may find some good winchester rnds. id avoid federal for reloading as most of them have a fiber base.

hope this helps.

Not to rain on your parade but since this is for self defense and it's for your loved one(s) why not just use a quality low recoil factory load in #4--#00 buck and ensure it cycles perfectly?

because factory ammo is expensive. i keep some factory ammo at the house for defense. but that doesnt stop me from reloading shitloads of buckshot. when shit really goes south do you think anyone is going to care if they are handloads or not? all my reloads are "private stock".

also this thread was about reloading, not what makes a good HD round.

but youre right keep factory stuff loaded in the mags. keep the reloads in the ammo cans.