Saiga ak mag conversion

Hi All

I am new to the forum and I am sure this has been covered before but my time is precious and I cant spend hours reading the website trying to find the info I need. I am going to purchase a Saiga 7.62x39 next week I needed to go 150 miles to find a gunshop that has them in stock in my area. Anyway the very first thing I want to do is make the rifle able to take ak47 mags. I need a bullet guide I know this and I know I need to look at the trunion before ordering the bullet guide to see if its round or flat. I also understand that there are bullet guides for both types now. The thing I want to know is where exactly on the mag catch do I do the filing to get the ASK mags to fit. I cant seem to find information that exactly says where to file. I plan on ordering the parts from http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront then at a later time I will order the parts to move the FCG forward and change out the furniture. Also installing the bullet guide and using imported magazines should not effect the 922r compliance laws ...right ?

thanks for the info

Foreign mags do have a bearing on 922R. To make sure you have enough US parts before you change the FCG, you will probably have to use US magazines for 3 US parts. You will need 2 more US parts like handguard and maybe pistol. Use the checklist in the sticky at the top. File the top of the magazine catch (edge closest to the bottom of the receiver).

Edited by imarangemaster

great thanks again to you all, no drilling holes is good i can and will do the conversion/restoration then.

A lot of the questions you have right now will be answered when you have the weapon in hand. The cuts are already in the receiver and when you take the bottom plate off you will uncover this.

If you try to put a standard AK mag in the receiver, you will see what part of the mag catch doesn't fit that needs to be filed.

The first conversion won't take more than 2 hours (even if you are as cautious as I am) as long as you have the right tools (a decent drill/drill press, dremel or files, and bench grinder - oh and don't forget the zip tie for the hammer & spring). After you do your first one, you can probably do one in about a half hour minus the paint and cure time - it really isn't as hard as it may seem by reading all of this stuff.

Check out this video before buying parts and you will have a good understanding of what you need http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-template/Videos-and-Links/Page

• 3 weeks later...

great thanks again to you all, no drilling holes is good i can and will do the conversion/restoration then.

A lot of the questions you have right now will be answered when you have the weapon in hand. The cuts are already in the receiver and when you take the bottom plate off you will uncover this.

If you try to put a standard AK mag in the receiver, you will see what part of the mag catch doesn't fit that needs to be filed.

The first conversion won't take more than 2 hours (even if you are as cautious as I am) as long as you have the right tools (a decent drill/drill press, dremel or files, and bench grinder - oh and don't forget the zip tie for the hammer & spring). After you do your first one, you can probably do one in about a half hour minus the paint and cure time - it really isn't as hard as it may seem by reading all of this stuff.

Check out this video before buying parts and you will have a good understanding of what you need http://store.carolin...-and-Links/Page

the video is a little bit different than what he needs, thats for a saiga 12, a bit different modification, bt the one that you need is this,