Gas piston AR for a cheaper build?

So I have a few receivers laying around and I'm going to do some builds in a few months. I started pricing everything out and contacted the guy who I bought a lot of stuff through for my AR pistol build. I'm doing a total of 3 builds so he said he'd give me a price break on some Osprey gas piston systems. Looking around $290 per kit shipped seems to be a good price. The second deal he said he had was a CMMG Gas piston system with free floating quad rail for $340.00. I'm interested because a normal build would cost me about that much (or more) for the bolt (good one), gas tube, gas block and rail. This isn't an open to the public deal so I won't be posting his info, I've been good to him and he's being good to me. Hell, I don't even know if this is a good deal.

Thoughts?

Especially interested in anyone who has done a build with either of these systems.

The osprey is a good deal. I assume it comes with the bolt carrier? I personally would avoid the CMMG kit. Just not as many good reviews as the Osprey. I run a Adams Arms kit and love it. If I weren't running the Adams kit , I would run the Osprey.

I checked out kits a long time before I made my decision. Osprey was just coming out with their system when I made up my mind. They are good to go. Just make sure your gas port is not oversized.

Hope this helps,

RF

Thanks redfish! Any details or links on why CMMG isn't a good idea? I'd like to read'em. Yes they come with the bolt, that's why I started to look at it. For about the same price I get something gas operated and easier to clean in the long run. It helped that the rail was included, after that all I need is an upper, barrel and a stock.

Thanks redfish! Any details or links on why CMMG isn't a good idea? I'd like to read'em. Yes they come with the bolt, that's why I started to look at it. For about the same price I get something gas operated and easier to clean in the long run. It helped that the rail was included, after that all I need is an upper, barrel and a stock.

Happy to help. If you go to AR-15.com and click Ar-15 and then click Ar-15-piston I believe that there is a bunch of reviews there on the CMMG. In fact I checked this morning and the was a new post about someone experiencing problems with their kit. There's too many there to link.

If that Osprey comes with the bolt carrier, then that's a SUPER Deal. Especially if its the new kits with the Fail Zero coating. Seriously once you run and own a piston a while you will change your mind about what the AR-15 is capable of. I treat mine like an AK or worse and the thing just wont be stopped. I run it hard on purpose just to see how far it will go. I plan to get another one soon. I'm getting all excited for you and this isn't even my build. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any other questions. I am not an authority on the subject but I will lend you any information I have.

Thanks,

RF

• 9 months later...

Happy to help. If you go to AR-15.com and click Ar-15 and then click Ar-15-piston I believe that there is a bunch of reviews there on the CMMG. In fact I checked this morning and the was a new post about someone experiencing problems with their kit. There's too many there to link.

If that Osprey comes with the bolt carrier, then that's a SUPER Deal. Especially if its the new kits with the Fail Zero coating. Seriously once you run and own a piston a while you will change your mind about what the AR-15 is capable of. I treat mine like an AK or worse and the thing just wont be stopped. I run it hard on purpose just to see how far it will go. I plan to get another one soon. I'm getting all excited for you and this isn't even my build. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any other questions. I am not an authority on the subject but I will lend you any information I have.

Thanks,

RF

guys the blackout 300 has got me looking at the AR to replace my AK's I have been waiting for the gas piston ar to come down in price. Now with a round that does all the 7.62 x39 and fits in a ar mag really has my interest. I would love to have one lower several uppers one set of mags. .223, 300 blackout and then an ar in .308 would be nice.

My buddy has an Osprey on his S&W M&P15 and loves it. It's a shame CMMG isn't well reviewed b/c it is the only long stroke retro-fit kit. If you're building one, I suggest springing for the the PWS Buffer Tube. It will prevent carrier tilt when the piston strikes and moves the bolt. Alot of newer piston kit bolts are modified in the back to help preventing the tilt.

Only reason I have no gone with a piston AR is two reasons: In a SHTF scenerio there is that can go wrong (more moving parts) which means you would need a healthy supply of replacement parts. And I own a Sig556 which counters my first reasons but I refuse to take a loss since prices have bottomed out and it shoots so well!

A piston AR is a great choice but if you have the parts, keep a spare DI upper for backup.