Help me understand my choke options with my Saiga-12

I started my CA DROS on my Saiga-12 earlier this week. I am attending a conversion party later this month, so I already bought everything necessary to get this thing fully converted and functioning as the lord meant it to function. With that said, I honestly am not certain what my main purpose for this shotgun will be. I thought it would be fun to shoot here and there and definitely good for SHTF, but I was concerned that it might not do to well for shooting clays. I don't shoot often, usually just when out on BLM, but it would be fun to be able to use it. With the default cylinder bore (I believe it is) configuration, I don't believe it in an ideal configuration for that...

As I was buying all my parts I impulsively bought the Tromix Shark Brake and barrel nut. I really don't fully know what the purpose of the barrel nut is, but CSS said it was strongly recommended. So now that I am just waiting for when I can pick it up and convert it, I am wondering how I could also utilize a different choke on it, perhaps a full or modified choke? I read about this Poly-Choke and other various choke's out there, but not sure how they would be installed. Is this barrel nut (Link here) going to make things easier? if I wanted to leave it in home defense mode with the shark brake on, but be able to swap to a choke, would that be a realistic option? I definitely wouldn't dream of swapping my brakes or flash-hiders on my AR's as they are indexed properly, require new crush or peel washers, etc. Not something I would want to do on a whim. My AK is much easier, but even then I leave my jtac47 in place these days. So can someone please help educate me on this? I guess it's all so foreign to me as I have never even seen in person a Saiga-12. Probably by the time I convert this, I'll be extremely comfortable (about the same way I felt before I assembled my first AR lower). Thanks in advance for your help.

I read through the pages of that thread. It seems like you have a nice product which is well received. I didn't know that typically the inside of barrels is threaded and the choke is installed that way. It seems that is the way the poly-choke is installed from what I read? I don't want to deal with all that, so quick swap to a full choke like yours (that looks decent too) seems ideal. I don't see a notch in your adapter to lead me to believe you need to torque it down, so is it just put on by hand, good-n-tight? I also see you have the old style, then two different styles of the new. One appears to have teeth on the end and one flush. Do you just indicate the choice when ordering? Also I assume that the chokes swap out using some tool, like a key that fits in to those groves in the front? Would I order that tool somewhere else online, possibly at the time i add on other chokes, or do you sell it at a competitive price? Still no other chokes other than full at the moment?

Edited by Agro

I read through the pages of that thread. It seems like you have a nice product which is well received. I didn't know that typically the inside of barrels is threaded and the choke is installed that way. It seems that is the way the poly-choke is installed from what I read?

Yes, the Poly threads onto the outside like the adapter, but is adjusted by hand for different restrictions. They work ok but not as good as a real internal choke, which is more effective for each restriction. The full and extra full chokes that thread internally have a tighter, more consistent pattern than the comparable settings on the Poly.

Additionally, the adapter can be used for installing rifled slug choke tubes, and extended Turkey chokes. These are very effective for their respective uses. An extra full choke will also make a gun that won't cycle at all, cycle the low powered cheap ammo with no problems. I have tested this on a S-12 that only had one gas port. Without the choke, it would not even fully extract the empty hull from the chamber, but shoved it right back in....after screwing on the choke adapter with the extended Turkey choke shown in the photos in the thread linked above, it cycled Winchester Universal even (the worst standard ammo you can try to feed the S-12), and ejected the empty hulls. To me that is quite impressive...

I don't want to deal with all that, so quick swap to a full choke like yours (that looks decent too) seems ideal. I don't see a notch in your adapter to lead me to believe you need to torque it down, so is it just put on by hand, good-n-tight?

Yes, it is only necessary to hand tighten the adapter with the choke threaded in flush, and the end of it tightens up flush with the tip of the muzzle inside, making for a very tight fit which is easily loosened without tools. With the adapter loosened, the internal choke is then easy to unscrew and change out with other size chokes.

I also see you have the old style, then two different styles of the new. One appears to have teeth on the end and one flush. Do you just indicate the choice when ordering?

Yes, just send a PM with your preference.

Also I assume that the chokes swap out using some tool, like a key that fits in to those groves in the front? Would I order that tool somewhere else online, possibly at the time i add on other chokes, or do you sell it at a competitive price? Still no other chokes other than full at the moment?

We don't currently stock the other size chokes or the choke key, but these can be readily found online or at your local sporting goods store. The adapter is compatible with Mossberg, Browning, and Winchoke brand chokes. Many people like it because they can use the same inexpensive chokes they already have for their other shotguns, and don't have to buy the Saiga specific ones.