May Buy a Used Saiga Shotgun - What Things Should I look For?

This is actually a S-20 but we all know the Saiga shotguns are basically the same. I posted here to take advantage of the much heavier forum traffic. I hope that's okay.

This one has the synthetic furniture with a non-adjustable skeleton stock. It shows some handling that will probably clean off and the typical arched scratch from operation of the safety lever but that's very light. Other than that it looks basically new. The seller says he only shot three mags through it.

Are there things I should look for before I hand over my hard-earned cash? I'm always worried when buying anything used. Also, should I worry about the warranty? I assume it's no longer covered.

EDIT: I neglected to mention his price. He wants $425. I can buy a brand new one for $535 including shipping and FFL fee. His asking price is right at my breaking point to buy something used... 20 percent off the lowest new price. I don't think he'll take any less. If he would take $400 that would definitely cynch the deal for me. I do realize the skeleton stock adds a bit to the value but I really don't care about that. I suppose I could exchange for a regular one and some cash. That would drive my overall cost down a few dollars.

Also, it's unconverted... nothing done to it.

Edited by Mike1234567

It's $25. Does that matter in the long run?

Answer: Not really but neither does $50 or $100. I just don't like paying too much for used stuff no matter how kewl it is.:smoke:

Make sure he didn't alter the internals or eff around with it. That skeleton stock is $80 new. You can prob. get 50+ reselling it.

Answer: He's a gunsmith at the LGS I found it in. He claims he's done nothing to it. He just wants the S-12 instead of the 20. I figure I could trade for a standard synthetic stock and get $30 cash with each paying our own shipping. That drives the total cost down to around $400... not too bad, I think.

Edited by Mike1234567

It's $25. Does that matter in the long run?

Answer: Not really but I neither does $50 or $100. I just don't like paying too much for used stuff no matter how kewl it is.:smoke:

Make sure he didn't alter the internals or eff around with it. That skeleton stock is $80 new. You can prob. get 50+ reselling it.

Answer: He's a gunsmith at the LGS I found it in. He claims he's done nothing to it. He just wants the S-12 instead of the 20. I figure I could trade for a standard synthetic stock and get $30 cash with each paying our own shipping. That drives the total cost down to around $400... not too bad, I think.

Yeah, if you want it, buy it. Sounds like a good enough deal to me. I had that Izzy skeleton on a .223 and liked it, though it is not of any use if you are going to do a conversion.