california legal mac 10

whats the deal with legality of these particular pistols in california? ive found some which have fixed 1 round mags. that almost seems unfair. i really like mac style firearms, and i dont see how they would be any different than any other type of semi automatic pistol, as long as there is no wire frame stock on it. at the very least, there must be a version of this pistol with a bullet button, and 10 round mags right?

All the semi-auto Mac 10 clones are probably prohibited by name. As far as I can tell by a little bit of reading, they don't have features that would render them automatically banned - with a 10-round detachable magazine, in the pistol grip, without a threaded barrel, they should be legit. I'm fairly sure the only manufacturer producing semi-auto mac-10s is Masterpiece Arms, and their guns use M3 "grease gun" 30-round magazines. You could obtain some grease gun magazine parts kits and pin them to 10 rounds, if it turns out the MPA pistols without threaded barrels are not banned by name.

I poked around a bit after typing the above, and found this document:

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Look on page 54 of the PDF, and it lists mac types - I don't see MPA on the list... If you can find a dealer willing to bring one in, and obtain some grease gun mag parts kits, you might be able to make this work.

Good luck!

(and if you find out you can, send me a PM - I have some grease guns mags laying around)

I understand the look is cool with the mac 10, but for around 500 you can get a glock or other 45 that would shoot circles around the mac 10, and they are much more practical, mac 10 being even less practicle if you like in kali

I understand the look is cool with the mac 10, but for around 500 you can get a glock or other 45 that would shoot circles around the mac 10, and they are much more practical, mac 10 being even less practicle if you like in kali

yea, i know they are impractical, but i find them incredibly appealing. besides, i already have a glock 30. id like something with more of an exotic look to it. although i admit, im also looking at some kind of magnum revolver, along with several other types of firearms. so many guns, and not enough money to buy them all

• 1 month later...

i have an update on my situation with a california legal MAC clone. I purchased an MPA30T, and it came to my FFL dealers shop today. it came in a california legal configuration with a fixed 0 round sled mag, however, it also came with a 10 round mag. my FFL dealer told me that it is illegal for me to put that mag in the pistol, which really surprised me, because i was under the impression that these pistols were not approved for sale as a semi auto handgun, but once you purchase it and take it home, you can put 10 round mags in it because the pistol does not have any "evil" features on it.

my question is, does anyone here know where i could find definitive proof that it is legal for me to use 10 round mags in this pistol?

i have an update on my situation with a california legal MAC clone. I purchased an MPA30T, and it came to my FFL dealers shop today. it came in a california legal configuration with a fixed 0 round sled mag, however, it also came with a 10 round mag. my FFL dealer told me that it is illegal for me to put that mag in the pistol, which really surprised me, because i was under the impression that these pistols were not approved for sale as a semi auto handgun, but once you purchase it and take it home, you can put 10 round mags in it because the pistol does not have any "evil" features on it.

my question is, does anyone here know where i could find definitive proof that it is legal for me to use 10 round mags in this pistol?

Your dealer is WRONG!

The only reason it has to be sold in the single shot configuration is to get around California's "Approved Handgun List".

Once it's in your possesion, you may change it back and use any magazine you want, "Hi-Caps" included.

Check out Calguns.net

Your dealer is WRONG!

The only reason it has to be sold in the single shot configuration is to get around California's "Approved Handgun List".

Once it's in your possesion, you may change it back and use any magazine you want, "Hi-Caps" included.

Check out Calguns.net

yea, it looks that way. i also got confirmation from a representative at calguns foundation that its ok to do this as well. stupid laws dont really accomplish anything but giving me a headache. although im pretty sure were limited to only using 10 round mags.

anyway, i get the MPA30T a week from this monday. i can hardly wait man, that thing is exotic as hell!!

heres exactly what it looks like

mpa%2030t-a.JPG

Edited by Cali_Armz

Nice Mac!!!

About the magazines: the 10 round limit is for "Fixed Magazine" pistols (any pistol with a magazine outside the hand grip, or an "evil" feature like a threaded barrel).

If you already own "pre ban" Hi-Caps, (or if your somehow lucky, and find one in the garbage) you can use it.

-Also, you can order Hi-Cap Magazine Rebuild kits to make your own blocked 10 round magazines....

...or if you bring the rebuild kit out of the state of California, you can assemble and use it there (you must disassemble the mag before returning to Ca.)

http://wiki.calgunsf...ed_blade_knives

(check out the section on Magazines)

Glad you ended up getting one! They're fun as hell. Move to a free state, and track down a 50-round Lanchester SMG mag for it :D I seem to remember that state still allows some kinds of AOWs. If that's the case, you could get a form 1 approved and throw a forward grip on the gun. That would actually make it a little more practical, on top of looking good. Dunno how keen local CLEOs are on signing forms though.

If you want need more mags, I have some 32-round Sten rebuild kits I could sell. They're supposed to be pretty easy to pin to 10 rounds - that way you still get the look of the long mag hanging from the pistol. I bought these from MPA - they're the steel mags they used to buy surplus, refinish and ship with their guns before they switched to tapco plastic mags. Right now they're individually packaged, but I can break them out of the wrap and disassemble. I'd like to get $20 each shipped, if you're interested.

Have fun with your gun - that's a pretty good off-list "evil black pistol."

yea, i cant get over just how visually appealing this thing is. ive wanted a mac type pistol for as long as i can remember. now its only 8 days away!!

as it is though, it comes with one 10 round mag which looks like a 35 round, but its not the classic steel case sten mag, it looks like this

mpa30p.jpg

which is cool, but i still like the oldschool sten mag. but right now, i really spent enough money on guns. i also bought a draco, thinking i could get them both on the same DROS background check, but apparently, there is a 30 day waiting period between handgun purchases, so instead of paying for one background check, i get to pay for two of them, as well as wait much longer than i had anticipated to get both my new guns