A few conversion questions

I am a noobie to the world of Saiga's and I am in the process of starting my first conversion of a 7.62x39. I am looking at buying a furniture set from K-VAR but I do not know what it means when it asked it you have a stamped or milled reciever? Is it basically asking if the rear stock "stock" tab is there or not for it to be mounted to? Or is it asking; will it be going on a converted rifle that has had the trigger moved foward? Or am I wrong in both instances?

I want to buy a stock set for the conversion (trigger and all) but I am unsure which to buy and I do not want to buy the wrong one. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, oh and one more question about the conversion process, do I need to buy a complete "new" set of rivets? And which ones will I need?

Edited by XaCUTIONER

Basically this.

c9745f1b-704f-41f7-9736-b5f592ecbfc2.jpg

A stock for a milled receiver only has like a square that goes inside the back of the receiver like this one....

AKBMLB.jpg

Now a stock for a stamped receiver has the part of the stock that goes inside the receiver cut "stair steps" like this one..

AK-020BUSW.jpg

Edited by TexanShooter
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, I do appreciate it. What would you have to use in place of the rivets? I assume screws and nuts? What about the fire control pins? Can you just remove and then replace them when the new FCG goes in? Thanks again for the info, I am as ignorant as they come with Saiga conversions up to this point. But I guess you have to learn somehow..

Edited by XaCUTIONER

Most of the DIY kits you can buy right now have trigger guards that screw on, the one I got from CSS had the threads inside it thus removing the visible nut under or inside of the receiver. It has been pretty good so far. Or you can buy a trigger guard and rivet it in to have the more authentic look. I do believe that if you go the rivet route you will have to cut the hole in the receiver to accept the pistol grip. I think I have only seen one that can be riveted and not have to cut the pistol grip hole. (not sure on that one) Now the fire control pins will need to be reused unless you get new ones with the FCG you ordered. And no problem happy to help. Believe it or not I did my own conversion on my S12 with only a drill, chair to hold the rifle, an allen wrench to tighten the screws and 2 bits :lolol:, thats cause I didn't cut the pistol grip hole.

Basically this.

c9745f1b-704f-41f7-9736-b5f592ecbfc2.jpg

A stock for a milled receiver only has like a square that goes inside the back of the receiver like this one....

AKBMLB.jpg

Now a stock for a stamped receiver has the part of the stock that goes inside the receiver cut "stair steps" like this one..

AK-020BUSW.jpg

Well that makes sense. Thanks a lot, I was way off.