Which barrel thread / flash hider ?

I have the 16" barrel with the .671 diameter and I have just completed moving my front sight block back to get ready for a flash suppressor. My understanding is that the size and pitch of threads for this barrel diameter is recommended to be 17x1 RH. I am having trouble finding a flash suppressor that works and is not just "tacticool" that is available in the 17x1 thread size. I really like the Vortex suppressor but they currently do not offer it in a 17x1 thread.

What have you installed on your 308 ?

Is the 17x1 thread the way to go ?

If so what suppressor works as good as a Vortex or equivalent that is available in 17x1 ?

Is there a better way to approach this ?

I need your input to do this right the first time.

Thanks!

I am sure the suppressor could be installed the same way I did my compensator. If you already have the barrel threaded you may consider purchasing one of the suppressor that are close in bore size the the 17x1 and just tap it out to the 17x1 thread needed. If you still need to tap the barrel why not use a common thread pattern?

I am sure the suppressor could be installed the same way I did my compensator. If you already have the barrel threaded you may consider purchasing one of the suppressor that are close in bore size the the 17x1 and just tap it out to the 17x1 thread needed. If you still need to tap the barrel why not use a common thread pattern?

I am not a machinist by a long shot, but my understanding was that in order to thread the barrel to a thread smaller than 17x1, it would be necessary to have it turned to a smaller diameter on a lathe.

Is that true ? or is there another way to thread it to 5/8x24 without having to use a lathe to reduce the barrel diameter first ?

Edited by jacksmad1

I am not a machinist by a long shot, but my understanding was that in order to thread the barrel to a thread smaller than 17x1, it would be necessary to have it turned to a smaller diameter on a lathe.

Is that true ? or is there another way to thread it to 5/8x24 without having to use a lathe to reduce the barrel diameter first ?

You do need to turn it down. Another way is to just pick out a brake you like and send it over to Dinzag (Brian). I know that he has tapped different brakes for 17x1 threads for people before, for a very reasonable price. I would suggest contacting him.

You do need to turn it down. Another way is to just pick out a brake you like and send it over to Dinzag (Brian). I know that he has tapped different brakes for 17x1 threads for people before, for a very reasonable price. I would suggest contacting him.

I have been exchanging emails with him a couple of times this week. I would really like to see night videos of the various flash suppressors that different ones have already installed on their 308's. There are some videos on youtube of suppressor fire at night but mostly from M4's and M16's.

Does anyone have one of Dinzag's Phantom suppressors installed on their 308? How about a night fire video ? :up: