Tell me about your wood...

I am thinking about going the wood route on my upcoming conversion but I know nothing about the wood furniture. Does the material matter? Is hardwood better than laminate or vice versa? What are you favorite wood styles for stocks (i.e. you think it has the best ergos)? How much fitting is required to get an AK wood handguard onto the S20? I am aware of the retainer issue, if anyone has a cheap option to remedy this it would be glorious, since that is why I am liking the wood approach in the 1st place. I have taken care of the 922r concerns, so let's not beat that dead horse on here... Thanks!

I have taken care of the 922r concerns, so let's not beat that dead horse on here...
...... Do you have a good club yet??? I could sell you a nice one for $XXX and it would get you compliance... and then the big bad BATF wouldn't take your shit away!! The beatings must continue!!!! ..... LOL it gets very old.

:deadhorse:

Sorry not trying to highjack your thread........I believe cobra did a furniture fitting tutorial.....

Laminate is much stronger than solid wood. It's glued together in layers (it's basically plywood). Solid wood HGs will split in two if too much pressure is applied against the grain. The tutorial I made 6 years ago is stickied in the tech section, in the "Conversions and mods to Saigas" forum. It's just the way I did it, because at that time there were no other options known. In hindsight, knowing all I do now, I would have removed the gas block and done it differently.

A retainer can be fashioned from a standard rifle one, to hold the lower HG in place, but I would advise spending a few more dollars and getting one from dinzag that just bolts on to your threaded gas block. If you weld a retainer on, you will not have any access to your gas ports if you ever wanted to shorten your barrel, or you might want to change to a different style of HG later on.

There are several better alternatives in the works at this time, for putting upper and lower AK HGs on the Saiga shotguns....:ph34r:

Would the size of the retainer needed be the same for both the 20 and the 12? Are there other handguards for the 12 that will fit? I have no 12 to compare it to. I am king of the orphan Saigas - I have a 308 and a 20. I really like the light weight of my 20 and it shoots great but it has been somewhat challenging to find 20 parts on my shoestring budget.

My wife likes to shoot it as well, which is a bit problematic since A) she likes things tacticool like her AR and B) she is a shrimp so some buttstock adjustability might be called for. A screaming good deal on the wood would shut her up though...

Does anyone have a favorite style stock that they think has better ergonomics than the other or are the differences mostly cosmetic?