ziz zag ak74 brake

Are the east german ak74 zig zag brakes the real deal , with better performance than the US made K-var ? Do they also fit an 24 mmRH adaptor ? I am thinking on replacing my US made cheap clone (not a K-var) with one of those and would like to know if it is worth the effort and cost . Please , I need info on this ...Thanks

An update to my situation. I bought a Bulgarian AK-74 FSB, brake, Gas block, hand guard retainer, and rear sight block on the gun auction site for about $125. I felt that was a good price for the FSB, brake and hand guard retainer. I will sell the GB and RSB, and get some of my money back. The catch is they come with a piece of barrel still in it. They just cut up the barrel and are selling the parts. I am not sure why, but they are. I had to take the pins out, and I found a guy with a press to press out the barrel out of the FSB. I will cut off the existing FSB and put the new one on myself or take it to the dude who helped me.

The brake had the zig zag cuts in it. It does not look as nice as some of the E German ones I have seen, but I can always do that later.

I now have some work cut out for me!!!

The ausction had 10 sets and he turned around and sold 10 more. I am not sure how often that deal comes up, but I think it was pretty good, though it includes some sweat equity!

Update : Well, I received the two items I was waiting for ... the East German zig zag AK-74 brake and the top ribbed AK-74 cover, also East German . The brake is a state of the art on machining and on the technology used to make it ... How are the germans able to make those zig zag cuts inside , is beyond me. ( perhaps lasers ?) Also , the outside finish on the brake is luxurious , elegant and kind of glossy . The inside is all chromed and even the threads are so well made . I was also impressed by the finish coating on the top cover .... the top cover on my rifle is smooth ,was coated with some thick Tar like paint that was horrible. I had to get it off and refinish and paint it again . This East German top cover is ribbed and coated on some nice semi-gloss finish (something like the finish on my VZ-58) that I believe is impervious to cleaners . I am very happy about this. The brake looks great and hopefully it will perform great , too. Now I understand all the fuzz about these brakes ... they are beautiful !!!

Edited by josey88

Did you have any trouble with the bolt handle on the right side?

Do you like the cheek rest?

Would you mind to snap a pic with it open?

Did you use the ace folding mech?

It looks great!

Have you noticed any difference with the 20" barrel?

1) No trouble at all. It is set at around 1/4 inch or so below the bolt handle. No interference at all .

2) Yes, the cheek riser is great and the height (1 inch) is ok for a scope . The only thing about the cheek riser is that when folded , the rifle cannot be fired because the bolt will hit the riser. Since I unfold the rifle to fire it , that is not a problem , but it can be taken out easily and then you can fire it folded.

3) pics are at the end

4) Yes, I used the Ace system

5)Thanks

6) Well , I haven`t shot it yet , waiting for the scope , but so far I prefer it to the 16" . It also has the thicker .591" barrel , so I am sure it would be shooting great. Originally, I was going to get an Arsenal SLR-106FR , but I wanted a right folder because of the left side mount scope , so I bought the Saiga and I am so glad I did. I converted it myself , I got what I wanted , with a 20 inch thick barrel , the folder I wanted , so I am happy . I don`t want the bullet guide , so I will be using only the Surefire mags , which I like very much .

pics : 002-43.jpg

003-38.jpg

Edited by josey88

The Ace stock is hollow tubing , metal and plastic (the upper tube is plastic) ... the DPH is solid , not tubing ,made of Aluminum billet . Very well made and finished , very solid . You can make it fold to the right or left ; simply turn the folding mechanism upside down for the left . The DPH stock, along with the 1" recoil pad gives me 14 .5 " of distance trigger to end of stock (that is how you meaure it) , which is great for the eye relief on an scope . The ACE stock is not bad , but in my opinion , the DPH is way better . You can get it at CSS . You cannot fold it completely to the left with the side mount installed ... the stock will fold but it will stay half open ; that is why I wanted a right fold option

Edited by josey88