Two to choose from

I'm looking at getting a 7.62X39 Saiga. I already have a converted 12 and .308. The local shop to me has a used one without the receiver dimples and a new one with them but it has the dotted out RAA import mark. The used one is marked at 340 and the new one is 380. I'm pretty sure I could get the used one at that price out the door if not cheaper where as the new one will be over 400 out the door. Is there a good reason other than for looks to get the one with receiver dimples, although with the ugly dotted out RAA import mark? Thanks for any insight.

-Scott

For the dimples read this , it's a personal decision.

340 out the door is a good price and so is 380. Me I would spend the extra bones and get the newer one, but thats just me

Agreed. I picked up a NIB Saiga 7.62x39 last November. It was an RAA import and had dimples but a stepped chamber. So you could have a non-dimpled Saiga with no step.

Possible scenarios (see if they'll let you field strip it. Holding it stripped up to a light you can see a little ring for the step, at least that was how I first determined I had one):

1) Used - no dimples, no step

2) Used - no dimples, step

3) New - dimples, no step

4) New - dimples, step

My ordering would be 1 (cleaner looking receiver), 3 (for both dimples and no step I could overlook the etchings), 4 then 2. So only in the case where I'd be tempted to go used over new would be if the used had no step. Otherwise, go new.

Thanks for the advice. As far as the stepped chamber goes, where is the ring I'm looking for? Any pictures. I tried looked up more info on that and didn't find anything that clarified what exactly I'm looking for and why or why not I should want it or not. Thanks.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/7303-case-neck-swelling-pics/

Its a sticky at the top.

I wouldnt be worried about unless you plan on reloading brass case.

Thanks for the reference. I didn't know the stepping was a case neck swelling reference. I shoot mostly steel case so I assume that won't be an issue. You mentioned in an earlier post you thought the new one I described sounded like a Legion version. What is that exactly? Thanks.

The Legions (Mercury Hermes imports) have a rimmed dust cover for an extremely tight/solid and rattle free fit. The finish atleast on mine, is a bit nicer then my RAA.

And the rumor mill says the Legions are built on more of a "military standard/spec", then non Legion models, whatever that means.

All the latest imports with the hatch marks (etched out RAA importer marking) on the selector side of the receiver have been Legion models so far.

The majority that have been talked about were iz240's but a few of the iz132's have popped up lately as Legions.

There is more info floating around the sight, just search for Legion.