how to install axis pin retaining plate from css?

i know i can rely on yall for this- ive been searching for an hour, cannot find how to install, step-by-step, the axis pin retaining plate. bought mine from css, for my 7.62, its mostly flat with a slight bend in the middle, im guessing to create pressure on the pins. i see how it goes in, what it attaches to, but not how to make it all fit and functional. i cannot get it to work with both pins. right now ive got the hammer pin installed fully, am trying to slide the retaining plate into it, since trying to install both pins with plate already in place didnt work, couldnt get the pins into the receiver fully. lol, what now?

thanks in advance!

i know i can rely on yall for this- ive been searching for an hour, cannot find how to install, step-by-step, the axis pin retaining plate. bought mine from css, for my 7.62, its mostly flat with a slight bend in the middle, im guessing to create pressure on the pins. i see how it goes in, what it attaches to, but not how to make it all fit and functional. i cannot get it to work with both pins. right now ive got the hammer pin installed fully, am trying to slide the retaining plate into it, since trying to install both pins with plate already in place didnt work, couldnt get the pins into the receiver fully. lol, what now?

thanks in advance!

>>since trying to install both pins with plate already in place didnt work, couldnt get the pins into the receiver fully

Nope, as you found out that won't work. :)

Part of the challenge is making sure the pins actually fit in the slots, the rest of it is just doing it a couple times to see how it works.

The axis pins must be fully seated in the receiver before you install the plate. The plate fits around the collar on the axis pins to lock them in. Make sure the pins slide easily into the slots in the plate (you can test fit with the pins and plate out of the receiver). If not, you may need to file the slots just a hair so that the pins will slide right in. Don't file off a lot of metal though, a sloppy fit is bad and will not work to retain the pins properly.

Then it's just a matter of wrestling the plate in place. Start with the forward hammer pin and then pivot the plate down to catch the rear trigger pin. Then the safety locks the plate in place.

Edit: When I said file the slots above, I was referring to the retainer plate. DO NOT file anything on the receiver to try to make the axis pins fit better. Just figure out what is blocking them to get them seated.

Edited by Spartacus

thanks in advance!

>>since trying to install both pins with plate already in place didnt work, couldnt get the pins into the receiver fully

Nope, as you found out that won't work. :)

Part of the challenge is making sure the pins actually fit in the slots, the rest of it is just doing it a couple times to see how it works.

The axis pins must be fully seated in the receiver before you install the plate. The plate fits around the collar on the axis pins to lock them in. Make sure the pins slide easily into the slots in the plate (you can test fit with the pins and plate out of the receiver). If not, you may need to file the slots just a hair so that the pins will slide right in. Don't file off a lot of metal though, a sloppy fit is bad and will not work to retain the pins properly.

Then it's just a matter of wrestling the plate in place. Start with the forward hammer pin and then pivot the plate down to catch the rear trigger pin. Then the safety locks the plate in place.

Edit: When I said file the slots above, I was referring to the retainer plate. DO NOT file anything on the receiver to try to make the axis pins fit better. Just figure out what is blocking them to get them seated.

damn, thats the one thing i forgot to do- test-fit the plate with the pins first. shit. ive got the hammer pin in place already, not much to take it back out, but im going to try to install anyway. i was trying to install with the hammer pin in before. guess i just have to try harder, lol. thanks man.

I usually install the plate after the hammer pin - is easier for me to line it up with the hammer pin without the trigger pin in the way - then install the trigger pin and slide the plate onto it then slap in the safety to keep it all together.

Remember that the plate locks the pins in between the shoulders on them, also it really helps to lock the spring legs around the hammer like Greg shows in the CSS conversion vids.

Good luck

You may need to trim a little off the bottom of the retaining plate. This would be the flat area that comes in contact with the bottom of the receiver. Mine needed a little off for it to drop down onto the back pin.

Make sure you try to fit it together with just the 2 pins and no other parts to start with.

Edited by Parkerson

k. got it in, and works well so far. cant take it to the range yet, but i dont anticipate any problems.

i also use a zip tie to hold the hammer spring legs behind the hammer. much easier to install that way. yeah, i reseated the pins, then put the plate in, then the safety lever. easy, actually. had to use a flat-head to hold the hammer and hammer spring coil out of the way, that the tension from the bho was causing. you know, even after so much grief, i am alot happier that i did the conversion myself and not sent it somewhere else to get it done professionally. knowing first-hand about the firearms one owns is definitely a necessity. i have included a flat-head screwdriver with my rifle, and will include zip ties and a pair of needle nose pliers(to reinstall the bho spring), so that ill have all i need if my rifle ever needs a "tune up", lol. thanks again, guys.