just got screw-on lower handguard retainer, but-

so, i got the screw-on lower handguard retainer, took off the gas tube, slapped the lhg retainer on the hg, made sure it didnt move (there is a slight wiggle at the bottom curve, in and out, NOT side to side), then held the hg in place(with retainer attached), and screwed it on per instructions included. after i was satisfied with the fit, i tapped the top screw hole,(tho it made no difference later). then i assembled all with red lock-tite, and let it sit for awhile. then i tried reinstalling the gas tube, being careful not to touch the hg yet. after installing the gas tube, i held the rifle, and wiggled it with one hand on the grip and one on the hg. where the hg contacted the receiver, the hg popped up and hit the underside of the barrel. there is a huge gap between the hg and the barrel, when installed. i was hoping that afixing it tightly with the hg retainer would remedy this. it did not. now what?

so, i got the screw-on lower handguard retainer, took off the gas tube, slapped the lhg retainer on the hg, made sure it didnt move (there is a slight wiggle at the bottom curve, in and out, NOT side to side), then held the hg in place(with retainer attached), and screwed it on per instructions included. after i was satisfied with the fit, i tapped the top screw hole,(tho it made no difference later). then i assembled all with red lock-tite, and let it sit for awhile. then i tried reinstalling the gas tube, being careful not to touch the hg yet. after installing the gas tube, i held the rifle, and wiggled it with one hand on the grip and one on the hg. where the hg contacted the receiver, the hg popped up and hit the underside of the barrel. there is a huge gap between the hg and the barrel, when installed. i was hoping that afixing it tightly with the hg retainer would remedy this. it did not. now what?

I'm a bit confused over your description. Do you mean that it pops up in the back, or in the front of the handguard? I can't envision any way it could pop up in the back. Mine popped up in the front until I fixed it.

You might consider disassembling before that red loctite sets, so as to try again later. (I use blue loctite just in case I screw up).

Edited by Jim Digriz

I used JB Weld to prevent the handguard from popping up in the front. Slather a bit where the top front of the handguard contacts the handguard retainer. No need to overdo it or make a mess. I can post pics of what I did later if it would help.

no, sorry guys, it was the back that popped up. the fronts fine. there is a huge hole in between the part of the hg that rests on the lip of the receiver, and the underside of the barrel. wow, i just remembered, i forgot to include the pics of the back of the hg. lol.

anyway, according to the pics, do i need to modify something?

post-32330-0-72977200-1302305665_thumb.jpg

post-32330-0-69771800-1302305675_thumb.jpg

seat it properly? how could i not seat it properly? it goes in the hole, it wiggles while its in there. its not a tight fit like the hg that came with the rifle... sooo... is there anyone with a SOLUTION out there? a statement questioning the validity of my problem isnt helping...

dropdeadfred, i tend to agree with DFM56 looking back at the other pics of yours you can see the outline of the structure that appear to be ground off. Bummer!!! i hope that wasn't from someone one on this forum. I assume they didn't disclose this modification to you before you purchased it. I only know of one way of dealing with it if they are not willing to make it right and thats to describe your transaction with them in the appropriate section of the forum. It will not help you but it will help others in the future and affect their ability to trade and sell. send me a Pm on the member so i don't deal with them either.

thanks

Edited by leadslinger