12 round .308 Saiga mags

I was fooling around with a couple of 12 round Galil mags, shaving material from my trunion, trial fitting, then shaving some more. Finally it got to where it looked like it would fit if I hit it with a hammer, so I knew it was time to step away. I decided to button it up for now, and make sure that factory mags still functioned.

Long story short, on one of my Saiga mags I replaced the follower and floorplate with the ones from the Galil. No mods necessary. Then I inserted 12 rounds. I fired 24 rounds from this mag this afternoon, with 100% reliability.

This is hardly the end all, or even economical sine the Galil mags are $20 a whack. Hell, maybe I'm the only one here who didn't know this would work. But the 12 round mag WAS 150% as satisfying as the 8 rounders. YMMV

What I'm calling the floorplate is the piece that the spring attatches to inside. I used the Saiga plastic cover on the bottom. The little metal tab doesn't go into the hole in the plastic cover, but it doesn't seem to matter. Everything went together easily. CDNN has the Galil 12 rounders for $19.99+ shipping.

I've only used it twice, but both times it worked flawlessly. I will definitely be using it more!

So all you did was gut a factory mag, put in a galil spring, follower, and 'floorplate; replace the saiga floorplate, and it worked?

That sounds easy enough, and reversible!

C-

What I'm calling the floorplate is the piece that the spring attatches to inside. I used the Saiga plastic cover on the bottom. The little metal tab doesn't go into the hole in the plastic cover, but it doesn't seem to matter. Everything went together easily. CDNN has the Galil 12 rounders for $19.99+ shipping.

I've only used it twice, but both times it worked flawlessly. I will definitely be using it more!

Okay, I'm a lying sack of spit. I just went to do another, and the follower and floorplate were different. I had to cut a little off the the sides on front from both, but it seem smooth now. Haven't function tested with live fire yet, but it hand cycles okay. What I'm saying is, you may need a dremel, cut off wheel, and ten minutes. But I think it's still good to go.

I hear that. Hi cap desperation I guess. I feel pretty safe, since I modified the mags as much as I could first, and didn't remove much material from the trunion. I will monitor it closely for any changes. I feel a lot better now, 12 rounds is way better. But no, I don't think I'd feel safe removing the amount of material necessary for these mags to fit.

Yes that is why Krebs stopped doing the hi-cap mod on the VEPR 308s. If I had an FFL, I'd offer a special hi-cap receiver for the S-308. Believe it or not, the ROR would probably be higher than with my adaptors. I've thought of making one for myself at some point, but at this point the mag project warrents keeping it as is.

I just got four different .308 hi-cap mags to fool around with. The Galil 12 rd is obviously the closest to the Saiga 8 round mag. The Galil is a little wider at the front and won't go in. Has anyone succeeded in using the Galil mag in a modified Saiga? I will now try to switch the Galil insides with the Saiga parts and see what happens.

Monomonk

Yes, Galils have worked in Saigas, but only with the trunion being cut.  You could cut the mag, but it's expensive piece of junk if it doesn't work.

I see that the suggested course of replacing the Saiga spring and follower with the Galil's doesn't work unless you modify the Galil follower to fit into the Saiga mag body. A simple switch does not seem to be possible.

Monomonk