Saiga 12 Factory LRBHO Problems

Like the title says, took out my newly converted S12 this past weekend with some friends and every mag (Surefire and ProMag) I had wouldn't work reliably with it. The factory 5 rounder worked great, but even after I removed the required material from the non factory magazines to allow the tab to fit without binding, each succesive shell would get it's rim stuck underneath the metal lever which actuates the LRBHO. This would then happen on EACH AND EVERY subsequent round. Very frustrating.

Has anyone else run into this issue, I realize that there are not a lot of these factory LRBHO S12's out there, but I'm considering removing the metal lever entirely and just manually activating the BHO like my Saiga 223. Seems like there's no other way around it since the other magazines appear to hold the shells back too far towards the rear. I know there were some saying that on a closed bolt rocking the full mag in would do this as well, but I didn't realize it would do it on every single round.

:angry:

That is because there is a lot more to the LRBHO mags than meets the eye at first. It's more than just notching the side out for the lever.

You have to look close grasshopper...

The factory LRBHO mags are designed do push the top shell forward a tad, as it rises to the top. This allows it to clear the 'beak' of the lever that actuates the BHO.

They also have the mag follower stops ground down so the follower can rise all the way to the top.

Edited to add picture.....

post-1293-0-50131000-1302586300_thumb.jpg

I bought several factory 5rd mags recently and on a couple of them the follower comes up alot higher than a normal 5rd mag I wonder if they are LRBHO mags. What else do I need to look at besides the follower that comes up higher to find out if they are????

EDIT: After looking closer at your photo cobra are those ramps that the yellow arrows are pointing at to push the round foward and I have not checked out the mags yet but will the LRBHO mags work OK in a regular S-12

Edited by SCHULTZE

I bought several factory 5rd mags recently and on a couple of them the follower comes up alot higher than a normal 5rd mag I wonder if they are LRBHO mags. What else do I need to look at besides the follower that comes up higher to find out if they are????

EDIT: After looking closer at your photo cobra are those ramps that the yellow arrows are pointing at to push the round foward and I have not checked out the mags yet but will the LRBHO mags work OK in a regular S-12

Schultze here are a few more pics of the two side by side.... notice on the LRBHO mags the follower comes up until it stops against the steel feed lips.

The followers also have relief cuts in them for the front edges of the feed lips.

Yes the ramps on the rear of the mag body are there to push the top round forward, something I did some work with in my years of LRBHO testing in my own guns..

Another main difference is the square extension on the rear of the follower, and the matching notch cut out in the back of the mag body. This square extension is what trips the lever.....and yes BigfootHunter I could modify other mags to work like this.

Schultze to answer your other question, yes the LRBHO mags will work in an unmodified (non BHO) Saiga. My factory LRBHO 8rd mag works fine in my S-12 with the magwell that it was made to work in. That mag is only made for the magwell guns, but these new ones coming in without magwells use the same exact LRBHO from what I have seen. The 8rd mag I have, has the same follower as the 5rd mags coming in with the new guns....and the same notch in the back of the mag body, with square extension on the follower.

post-1293-0-86404600-1302644196_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-19570600-1302644135_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-70597100-1302644229_thumb.jpg

Now I may not be the best example, as I seem to have an issue racking the gun a full mag and a closed bolt, (i think it is due to the bolt jamming into the top of the shell)

but both the surefires 8s and mdarms 20 i just ground that portion off of the back of the mag to match the look of the factory mag fed and shot great in my lrbho gun (once a round is chambered)