top mounted charging handle for AK

So I'm getting into modifying (nothing illegal of course lol) my AK just for fun, so I got the bright idea of having a charging handle mounted to the top of the bolt carrier. Any thoughts on how one would go about doing this besides the obvious welding and cuts in the dust cover? I'm thinking something unlike the original charging handle as well so as not to block the sights......maybe like an UZI or one of the earlier thompsons that had their charging handles mounted on top.....and yes I know this is 110% totally impractical, but I think it might look kinda cool/intresting on a draco

A top mounting charging handle with a slot milled down the center to see through to the sights easily would be kind of neat. It'd make it an interesting way to make it ambidextrous to operate more or less.

If I was doing it, I'd just make an AK style charging handle, maybe a bit wider, and mill a slot through the center and weld that on and just put a slot down the top of the dust cover with enough room for it to wiggle around and not rub. Could offset it a little bit to make it just to the side of the sights so you wouldn't need to mod the handle as much.

A top mounting charging handle with a slot milled down the center to see through to the sights easily would be kind of neat. It'd make it an interesting way to make it ambidextrous to operate more or less.

If I was doing it, I'd just make an AK style charging handle, maybe a bit wider, and mill a slot through the center and weld that on and just put a slot down the top of the dust cover with enough room for it to wiggle around and not rub. Could offset it a little bit to make it just to the side of the sights so you wouldn't need to mod the handle as much.

intresting idea about mounting it to one or the other sides....any particular welding method to be used for this?

• 2 weeks later...