Need some advice, messed up drilling out the plate

Hello all, noob attempting to do first conversion on a 7.62 rifle. Kind of messed up I think drilling out the 3 rivets that hold the plate on and hopefully someone can help me out. I was following the CSS video of drilling out the 3 rivets that hold the bottom plate on, well it didn't turn out too well like I would have hoped as seen on the video. First, I had a hell of a time centering the drill bit onto the top of the rivet and it kept wandering. I didn't have a vice or anything to hold the receiver, so this is probably why I had a tough time. Well, the first rivet, I just kept drilling for quite some time and it was little off center, so I kept drilling all the way through the receiver without knowing it until everything just popped out. Since it drilled all the way through, the hole became larger, but it wasn't too bad, just tad bit enlarged.

The 2nd rivet, I couldn't get it centered again and I kept drilling again, until all the way through the receiver. On this one, I essentially almost doubled the hole size. I guess I kept drilling hoping the the head of the rivet would "break" off like in the video, but that never happened for me. You guys think there will be a problem with this? The hole is double the size, so will there be a problem if I attempt to attach a trigger guard purchased from CSS? (Still need to order the conversion kit)

Also, for the last rivet, instead of drilling from top, I just dremeled the rivet head off on bottom of receiver. i was able to pull off the plate, but that rivet is still stuck in there. I tried to punch it out, but that thing won't budge, I'm afraid of bending the receiver. Any ideas on how to get this out? Any help appreciated.

Hello all, noob attempting to do first conversion on a 7.62 rifle. Kind of messed up I think drilling out the 3 rivets that hold the plate on and hopefully someone can help me out. I was following the CSS video of drilling out the 3 rivets that hold the bottom plate on, well it didn't turn out too well like I would have hoped as seen on the video. First, I had a hell of a time centering the drill bit onto the top of the rivet and it kept wandering. I didn't have a vice or anything to hold the receiver, so this is probably why I had a tough time. Well, the first rivet, I just kept drilling for quite some time and it was little off center, so I kept drilling all the way through the receiver without knowing it until everything just popped out. Since it drilled all the way through, the hole became larger, but it wasn't too bad, just tad bit enlarged.

The 2nd rivet, I couldn't get it centered again and I kept drilling again, until all the way through the receiver. On this one, I essentially almost doubled the hole size. I guess I kept drilling hoping the the head of the rivet would "break" off like in the video, but that never happened for me. You guys think there will be a problem with this? The hole is double the size, so will there be a problem if I attempt to attach a trigger guard purchased from CSS? (Still need to order the conversion kit)

Also, for the last rivet, instead of drilling from top, I just dremeled the rivet head off on bottom of receiver. i was able to pull off the plate, but that rivet is still stuck in there. I tried to punch it out, but that thing won't budge, I'm afraid of bending the receiver. Any ideas on how to get this out? Any help appreciated.

Most everyone has some minor problems with their first conversion.

As far as the holes, the enlarged size shouldn't be an issue so long as you tighten your trigger guard tightly.

Usually, the pistol grip keeps the trigger guard centered anyway.

For the last rivet, just place something on the back side and grind it off with a dremel using the cutting disk. It should pop out, if not, see if it would interfere with a trigger guard/pistol grip, if it doesn't, just leave it.

Personally, I flatten the rivets with the Dremel before drilling and use a center punch to get the drill bit centered.

What i did was just drill into the rivet enough so that the punch sits inside of it, and that the drilled out part makes it so the head is just barely outside the receiver. Then pound it with a punch and it pops right out. YMMV

• Like 1

What he said ^

If you ever do this again, use a center punch first and drive a divot into the place where you want to drill. Then you can start with a smaller drill to make a "pilot hole". After that, you won't have any issues with the bit walking off center like that.

All you have to do is drill the rivet head off flush, or even grind it down flush, then like beefcake said, you can just punch it through from there, leaving the original hole undisturbed. Some even use a cold chisel and just cut the head off with one sharp smack....or a few, depending on how hard you hit it.

Ah I see, thanks, I'm not experienced with drilling. Hopefully everything will work, still waiting on the parts.

Update: I got the trigger guard and it goes on just fine with no isuues. Covers up the larger hole and still aligned perfectly straight, and shouldn't be a problem with some loctite. thanks all!

Edited by euhysh