IS BUILDING AK'S FROM UNBENT FLATS LEGAL?

The problem is that "I" word.

Intent, you cant prove it, but that wouldn't stop a charge if they feel like, and if the laws says NOT for resale, they I wouldnt chance the word of anyone, especially an ATF agent.

You can't build them with the intent to sell, just like you can't buy guns with the intent to resell (without FFL). There is a difference between someone who sells them on a regular basis with no license and someone who decides to sell one a while after he builds it to fund other projects or just needs the money. They would have to prove you built it with intent to sell it. Unless you're building 50 of them and selling on a regular basis you will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been really curious about these flats, and particulars of the legal restrictions. Would it be legal to make an ak pistol from one of these flats if the back of the receiver had a plate welded on? And would that make it legal for use with as less than 16" barrel?

The other question is in regards to heat treating. Since heat treating is a manufacter process it can't be done unless the treating company has an ffl. But if a reciver were bent but had no holes for rivets,fcg, or pistol grip, would it still require an FFL to be heat treated by a third party, considering it woud be less than 80%?

Depending on local law. There is nothing in Federal law to restrict you from building an AK pistol as long as it has a plate welded on and won't accept a stock. Just don't add a vertical foregrip unless you pay the AOW tax and paperwork.

To my understanding, once the receiver is bent it becomes a firearm... holes or no holes. The whole "heat treating is manufacturing" ruling is pretty recent and came as a surprise to both me and the guy that heat treated mine. If mine hadn't gotten held up by a field agent, he would've sent them directly back to me. What the ATF told me is even if you are required to ship them back through an FFL, they can just release them to you without the need for a 4473. Just like getting a gun back from smithing work. YMMV.

Edited by rob-cubed

All things considered, for now I agree that getting the receivers heat treated would be cost prohibited, as would building my own oven....in the short term. And being that this will be my first atempt at building a gun from the ground up, I think the nodaks are a great route. I see the 545's are on sale...so any leads on a good parts kit for them? Would Akbuilder be the route to go? Thanks in advance for any help!

Apex, Copes, and Whatacountry are where I've gotten most of my kits.

AKBuilder has headspaced kits, if you don't want to bother with drilling the barrel pin hole and lining up the components. I believe most of his are on US barrels though.

Unfortunately building your own is not particularly any cheaper than buying a built gun these days. An AK-builder pistol kit and a Nodak receiver is going to run you more than a Draco, plus you still need to find the tooling to build it.