Left Side Charge Handle + Dust Cover BHO?

Anyone ever gave any thought to having a left side charging handle be able to swivel into a notch on the dust cover to function as a bolt hold-open? The notch would be easy... but having the handle with some sort of hinge being strong enough and not engage unintentionally is the problem as I see it. Nothing really good is coming to mind. If something could be made to work reliably enough like this I'd be in love. Anyone else have any input or ideas??

That would be great but the carrier doesn't pivot up like that.

Yeah that's where I'm stuck. The charging handle would have to pivot separate from carrier.

Now my brain is working a little better... so, you have a vertical notch in the carrier, the charging handle is held in place by a threaded screw from the rear of the carrier, and a spring either pushes or pulls the charging handle down so that it won't accidently engage while cycling. However... I don't think there's enough room in the carrier to do that and having the handle be strong enough :unsure:

The recoil is strong enough to cause the receivers to flex. Can you flex your receiver by hand?

I'm doubting you'd find a spring strong enough to keep the charging handle from flopping all over the place but weak enough you could actually extend it.

Cool idea. Maybe there's another way.

Anyone ever gave any thought to having a left side charging handle be able to swivel into a notch on the dust cover to function as a bolt hold-open? The notch would be easy... but having the handle with some sort of hinge being strong enough and not engage unintentionally is the problem as I see it. Nothing really good is coming to mind. If something could be made to work reliably enough like this I'd be in love. Anyone else have any input or ideas??

Take a look at every gun that has a rotaing bolt handle to get some ideas. Check out the HK series of weapons for ideas, and every other gun that does what you are looking for. I think you will figure it out that way, shouldn't be too hard to come up w/ a solution. I can already think of one way (that theoretically should work), similare to the HK's....would require quite a bit of machining though. You would need a milling machine & lathe and a variety of carbide end-mills, and hand made/cut lathe cutters.

The easiest way is just to reinstall your BHO.

Good luck.

Matt @ http://csm-w.com/

An easy way to do it would be to copy the Hipoint 995 carbines. Basically the charging handle can slide in and out on the shaft. When cycled all the way back you just slide the handle in to catch on the dust cover. Maybe not the best design but could easily be made to work.

An easy way to do it would be to copy the Hipoint 995 carbines. Basically the charging handle can slide in and out on the shaft. When cycled all the way back you just slide the handle in to catch on the dust cover. Maybe not the best design but could easily be made to work.

Another good idea....with a little work and fine tuning, this would be a viable option to try.

C&S Metall-Werkes VENDOR SECTION