Gas setting question

Been reading a lot on this forum and I've read where some consider any size "slug" as a shell that should only be fired on setting 1 of a S12. Seems as though some people always reference a slug, no matter of shell size or manufacturer labeling, as a "magnum" load that should be shot on setting 1 of a broken-in and correctly gas ported S12.

Personally, I've never thought that all slugs where considered a "magnum" unless labeled as such. So which is correct?

My S12 is correctly cycling Remington 2 3/4 5-shot 1330 shells on setting 2. So if I run a 2 3/4 "slugger" through the firearm without switching to setting 1, is this a bad thing? These are my preferred rounds for 3-gun competition, and if I don't have to switch the gas port settings between the two then that would be preferred.

Thanks...

Remington sluggers 2 3/4" are really an intermediate round in terms of power. I run them on setting 3 on my V-plug.

If you shotshells and the sluggers can both run on a single setting on the v-plug, it may be worthwhile to look into getting one. It will also help limit wear and tear on the gun. The S12s just don't seem as robust in the carrier as a standard AK.....necessary compromise I suppose.

A definite candidate for an auto plug. I don't have one yet, but almost certainly will soon. Nearly all positive reviews here.

The thing is, you dont' want to be shooting your slugs on the 2 setting, because while it will work, you're giving it too much gas and it'll eventually beat up your gun more quickly than it should. (i.e. excessive wear, esp on rear trunnion). So you really want to match your gas setting to your loads, which is why the auto plug is a wonderful device. You can even load different ammo in the same magazine. Going to order mine in the next week or two!

And yeah, there is going to be a gradual continuum of power on the various ammos out there. Setting 1 and 2 on the factory plug isn't very precise. But the key is, don't give it more gas than it needs if you can avoid it. And of course, a few shots won't kill you. We're talking longer term effects. These things are built tough, but you should use them properly!

Cheers