Saiga conversion vs. Bulgy 74 kit build

I'm looking for a 5.45x39 rifle. I've already ordered ammo before I had a working gun. Is that silly?

Anyway, I'm debating whether to convert a Saiga or build a Bulgarian ak 74. The Saiga has pros and cons. The cons being buying the FSB and Gas block parts, taking off existing ones, and swapping. That costs $. Then I need a bullet guide = more $$. Then I'd need to buy correct furniture and do a trigger guard swap. I'm a perfectionist so I'd have to weld the holes in the receiver.

Or I could build a kit gun. I have experience building kits and have all the equipment. The parts kit with bulgarian barrel, all fsb/gas parts pressed on is $330. I'd have to buy a receiver. Nodak has cheap 74 receivers for $43, which I will have to trim to fit mags. Rivets are like $9.

It seems like in the long run it would be easier to just purchase a kit and build it. What do you guys think?

Financially there isn't much of a difference. If you would rather have Russian like me then Saiga is the way to go. I have never used a bullet guide for my two 5.45's and neither have had a hiccup because of it.

I have also bought ammo for gun before they arrived. It may be silly but I don't care.

You do not absolutely have to press off the gas block or the Front sight base. It is fully functional the way it is.

My suggestion is saiga of course, this being the saiga forum and all.

There is more to building a AK-74 kit that just that. If you are wanting a run of the mill AK-74 buy the saiga for $400 and convert it as you get the money or buy a arsenal sgl-31(already converted saiga) for $750-$850 (look around for the best price) and have a true russian AK-74 minus F/A. The only reason to build a kit IMO when the saigas are readily avaiable is to have a sepicfic model like a krinkov or tantal.

i purchased a iz240 from forum sponsor CSS for $350 then a Bulgarian ak74 kit from whatacountry for $209 with plum furniture..

you'll spend around $600 building it yourself, plus a few hours worth of labor but will have lots of leftover parts for future builds.

The end result will be well worth the time and money in my opinion.

Or you can go the cheap/easy way and do a basic conversion for less than $100 and under an hour of your time.

Im in the middle of a 74 build I went with a parts build because I wanted an AK 105 clone with an underfolder and because I never did a complete build before. I decided to go all out and build it from a flat. Now I'm one my second flat and Im not completely happy with it so Im trying to decide to order more flats and keep trying, build the flat I have and just have an ugly gun or im really contemplating buying a saiga and gutting it for the receiver. I figure if Im gonna buy a built receiver i might as well buy a russian one. I can always sell the parts an get most of my money back. As far as your build it all depends on your skill and patience. If you already bought your ammo thats a bit of a clue that your patience is a little thin ;) . But if you got the time and want a challenge the kit build might be for you. With the siaga you can shoot it before you even get started! If you do decide to go with a kit MARKW1 has an ad in the WTS forum for ak 74 parts. I got my main components from him and they are in excellent condition they look unfired. hope that helps

Edited by jwiedy