So, I am considering getting a couple of Saiga rifles, specifically the .223 and the .308 due to the relative inexpensiveness and reliability of these rifles and hopefully getting what I want out of them, but before I do I have some questions....

1. Can I modify in a reliable way so I can use a mass produced common magazine for these rifles, i.e. the AR for the .223 and maybe FAL for the .308? I want at least a 20, but preferably a 30 round capacity. Or baring that is there a reliable, and relatively inexpensive magazine in higher capacities that are commonly available? My luck on Google hasn't been good.

2. What type of accuracy can I expect from these rifles? I mean if I do my part, what's the MOA? I don't expect tack-driver accuracy here but can I hit say... a 20x30 paper at 300m?

3. Can I change the safety lever so i can operate it without having to move my hands? I don't exactly have huge hands, so I like the AR platform as it's easy to switch from safe to fire, whereas on the AK platform I have to take my hand from the pistol grip. I'd really like to be able to use the thumb of my right hand, but it's not mandatory, just that I want to be able to use a regular "patrol" grip and still be able to manipulate my safety.

4. Any little nuances about Saiga's that I might need to know? I am basically expecting an AK in different calibers. Is this a false idea or are there things that are going to surprise me about the Saiga for the better or for the worse?

Thanks in advance. Also FYI I am very familiar with the AR platform, and have limited experience with the AK, yet still like both systems. I have reasons for avoiding AR's.

Edited by Skinny Indian

for the S308 in 21".. I was getting 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 groups at 200 yards with a 4-12x40 scope (set at 7-9x)..

currently MSA is designing S308 adaptor possibly for FAL or SR25 (AR mags).. the 223 is another MSA adaptor possibility.. check in the MSA section or just PM them..

there is csspecs who makes 20 round S308 mags from STEEL for about $45 each.. Unita makes 20 round Poly S308 mags also a little cheaper cost wise.

Al

So, I am considering getting a couple of Saiga rifles, specifically the .223 and the .308 due to the relative inexpensiveness and reliability of these rifles and hopefully getting what I want out of them, but before I do I have some questions....

1. Can I modify in a reliable way so I can use a mass produced common magazine for these rifles, i.e. the AR for the .223 and maybe FAL for the .308? I want at least a 20, but preferably a 30 round capacity. Or baring that is there a reliable, and relatively inexpensive magazine in higher capacities that are commonly available? My luck on Google hasn't been good.

2. What type of accuracy can I expect from these rifles? I mean if I do my part, what's the MOA? I don't expect tack-driver accuracy here but can I hit say... a 20x30 paper at 300m?

3. Can I change the safety lever so i can operate it without having to move my hands? I don't exactly have huge hands, so I like the AR platform as it's easy to switch from safe to fire, whereas on the AK platform I have to take my hand from the pistol grip. I'd really like to be able to use the thumb of my right hand, but it's not mandatory, just that I want to be able to use a regular "patrol" grip and still be able to manipulate my safety.

4. Any little nuances about Saiga's that I might need to know? I am basically expecting an AK in different calibers. Is this a false idea or are there things that are going to surprise me about the Saiga for the better or for the worse?

Thanks in advance. Also FYI I am very familiar with the AR platform, and have limited experience with the AK, yet still like both systems. I have reasons for avoiding AR's.

Awesome! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

You have a couple options for the 223 mags, although they are all quite expensive. You would be better off getting a 5.45 and you can use ak74 mags for cheap. Thats the big complaint about the saiga 223, is the lack of affordable mag options. As far as I know(someone correct me if im wrong), the 308 is the same way. The original ak's were never made for these calibers and thus there are no cheap steel or military surplus magazines to access. Honestly man, seeking out expensive mags for your rifle really sucks. I can see the allure of the 308, its a beefy, powerful weapon with alot to offer. On the other hand, buying a saiga 223, knowing that its a pain in the ass to get mags for, you would just be screwing yourself (unless you are independantly wealthy). If you want long range accuracy get the 5.45. The ammo is WAY cheaper and the mag selection isnt complicated in any way.

When it comes to these weapons, get one of the classic calibers, 7.62x39 or 5.45. The 308 is cool if you have the money. I wouldnt reccomend the 223, just for the lack of magazine options.